As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This list of 101 ways to make chicken will keep boredom at bay.
We all know that eating healthy often includes chicken. It’s a lean source of protein and can be made an endless number of different ways.
I’ve been blogging for 11 years now, and it’s hard to believe that I have come up with so many ways to make chicken. But I have! So I put all those recipes together in a list for you as an easy reference. This list of 101 ways to cook chicken will help you build your chicken recipe arsenal so that chicken night is never boring or unhealthy again!
What Is The Proper Way To Cook Chicken?
While there are always more than 101 ways to cook chicken, there are many different approaches, depending on your cut and recipe. But there are a few tips you can use to help your chicken turn out great each and every time, no matter how you cook it.
- Pat your chicken dry before adding anything to it. I use a paper towel for and easy discard of all those surface contaminating juices.
- All chicken needs to be cooked to at least 165 F. in order to be safe to eat. The cut doesn’t matter. Take the temperature at the thickest part of the meat.
How To Cook Chicken
While there may be 101 ways to cook chicken, the methods we use to do that are not quite so varied. But there are still quite a few options.
You can bake (or roast for a whole chicken) any cut of chicken. See notes below on each individual cut for how to keep your chicken from drying out during baking.
If you are fortunate enough to have a rotisserie (or an oven that offers that function), cooking an entire chicken this way is amazing.
If your whole chicken comes packed with gizzards and such, remove those from the inside of the chicken. Put the rotisserie stick through the chicken and set the stick inside the rotisserie oven. Cooking times vary by the size of your chicken. But a 5 lb. chicken will take, on average, about an hour to cook fully.
Air Fried Chicken
Air fryer chicken is a thing of beauty. Different cuts require different cooking times. But cuts that are well suited for an air fryer are chicken breasts, chicken thighs and for air fryers that are big enough, even a whole chicken can be cooked in an air fryer with delicious success.
Pan Fried Chicken
The best cuts of chicken for cooking in a pan are chicken breasts and chicken thighs. You can season them any way you want prior to cooking.
Deep Fried Chicken
The best cuts of chicken for a deep fryer are legs, thighs, and breasts. The best option is to bread them first. While not the healthiest option, it’s a delicious way to prepare chicken.
You can cook pretty much any cut of chicken in a smoker. On average, it will take approximately 3 to 5 hours to smoke a whole chicken. Or 45 minutes per pound for different cuts.
Slow Cooker Chicken
Slow cooker chicken turns out similarly to rotisserie chicken, but without a crisp exterior. A whole chicken (as long as it fits) is pretty much mistake-proof when cooked in a slow cooker. You can season your chicken just like you would if you were baking it.
For different cuts of chicken, the slow cooker will give you very shreddable pieces that pretty much fall apart just with stirring. The result is a very moist bowl of shredded chicken that works great for tacos, burritos, and salads. Even soups!
Instant Pot Chicken
If you have a large enough Instant Pot and a small enough chicken, you can cook a whole chicken in an Instant Pot. But I have found that a better option is to use cuts of chicken. Chicken breasts and thighs do particularly well in an Instant Pot. And like a slow cooker, the meat will be moist and it will shred easily.
Sheet Pan Chicken
The best cuts of chicken for sheet pan dinners are chicken breasts, thighs, and legs. Pair them with some roastable veggies, add some seasoning and bake for approximately 40-60 minutes, depending on what you’re roasting and how thick your cuts of chicken are.
How Do You Bake Chicken Without Drying It Out?
The easiest way to keep your chicken from drying out during the baking process is to either rub the raw chicken with a bit of oil before seasoning it or make sure it’s cooking in a good, thick sauce that has a little added fat.
Is It Better To Bake Chicken Covered Or Uncovered?
Here again, it will depend on your cut of chicken. If you are baking/roasting a whole chicken, it’s best to cook it with a cover on it for about 1 hour, and then remove the lid to crisp up the outside for about 10-15 minutes.
For cuts of chicken, a lid will work well to keep things moist but isn’t always necessary. You can use a lid to cook things faster, and then remove the lid in the last few minutes of cooking. But again, a lid is not always necessary for different cuts. Lids are great for chicken breasts in particular since they tend to dry out the most due to being so lean. Thighs and legs tend to do better without a lid. This is not a hard and fast rule, however. More of a general guideline.
How Do You Season Chicken Before Cooking?
That all depends on the cut of chicken you want to cook.
- Whole Chicken – Run a spoon or your hand between the flesh and the skin to separate the skin from the meat, without removing it. You want to create a “pocket” to hold your seasonings. Once done, mix some oil with your chosen spices and roast the chicken.
- Chicken Breast – Oil the entire outside of the cut of meat with a layer of oil and then sprinkle on your seasoning. You can also marinate the breasts in an oil rub or marinade.
- Chicken Thighs – Similar to a chicken breast, you’ll want to oil and season or marinate your chicken thighs.
- Chicken Legs – Also called drumsticks, they can be seasoned the same way as thighs or breasts.
101 Ways To Cook Chicken
Air Fryer Chicken Recipes
Need a good air fryer? This is the one I have and love.
Asian Chicken Recipes
- Easy Teriyaki Chicken
- Easy Orange Chicken
- Sesame Chicken
- Chicken Stir Fry
- Chinese Chicken Salad
- Crazy Good Stir Fry
- Kung Pao Chicken
- Wok Style Garlic Chicken And Carrots
Chicken Salad Recipes
- Chicken Endive Salad
- Low Carb Southwest Chicken Salad
- Chicken And Cucumber Salad
- Chicken Quinoa Salad With Apples
- Lemon Chicken Salad
- Chicken And Apple Salad
- Autumn Cabbage Chicken Salad
- Mexican Style Chicken Salad
- Chicken Avocado Salad
- Chicken Salad
Chicken Dinner Ideas
- Peanut Butter Chicken
- Chicken And Cabbage
- Dutch Oven Chicken
- Chicken Kebabs
- Chicken Asparagus Skillet
- Bacon Stuffed Chicken Thighs
- Chicken Enchiladas
- Lemon Caper Chicken
- Baked Chicken Wings
- Easy Chicken Casserole
- Chicken Pot Pie
- Chicken Vegetable Curry Rollups
- Cheesy Mexican Chicken Casserole
- Catalina Cranberry Chicken
- Stupid Simple Rotisserie Chicken
- Italian Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- Chicken Enchilada Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
- Mushroom Quinoa With Chicken
- Taco Chicken Zucchini Pasta
- Roasted Balsamic Chicken And Tomatoes
- Southwestern Barbecue Chicken And Shrimp Skillet
- Baked Chicken Marinara
- Baked Pesto Chicken
- Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Citrus Grilled Chicken
- Chicken Alfredo Pasta (Tex Mex Style)
- Chicken Korma
- Slow Cooker Barbecue Chicken Soft Tacos
- Grilled Moroccan Chicken Tenders
- Grilled Tandoori Chicken
- Grilled Chicken Souvlaki
- Coconut Almond Cranberry Chicken
- Chicken Fajitas
- Sun Dried Tomato and Olive Chicken
- Chicken Gnocci
- Chicken Nuggets
- Tarragon Chicken
- Chicken Taquitos
- Chicken Bok Choy
- Healthy “Fried” Chicken
- Chicken And Brussels Sprouts
- Chicken Sushi
- Whole Roasted Chicken
- Chicken Kebabs
- Nut Crusted Chicken
- White Chicken Chili
- Mango Chicken Wraps
- Wok-Style Chicken And Carrots
Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes
- Southwest Chicken CrockPot Recipe
- Crockpot Curry Chicken
- Crockpot Taco Soup
- Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore
- Pineapple Chicken Verde
- Honey Sesame Chicken
- Crockpot Turmeric Chicken
- Slow Cooker Creole Chicken
- Hawaiian Barbecue Chicken Sandwiches
- Slow Cooker Dump Chicken
- Low Carb Tacos
- Mexican Chicken Lettuce Cups With Mango Salsa
- Slow Cooker Rotisserie Chicken
- Thai Massaman Curry
- Cinnamon Chicken
- Slow Cooker Spinach And Chicken
- Crockpot Mexican Chicken
- Chicken Masala
- Slow Cooker Pineapple Chicken
Instant Pot Chicken Recipes
- Honey Mustard Chicken
- Chicken Chili
- Maple Chicken
- Chicken Ropa Vieja
- Egg Roll In A Bowl
- Mexican Chicken
- Chicken Soup
- Spinach Chicken
- Crockpot Taco Chicken
Sheet Pan Chicken Dinners
- Sheet Pan Mexican Chicken Dinner
- Cinnamon Carrots And Chicken Sheet Pan Dinner
- Chicken And Sweet Potatoes Sheet Pan Dinner
- Sheet Pan Chicken And Cauliflower
If you have found this article on 101 ways to cook chicken helpful, please share, pin and leave a comment below. Tell me what your favorite chicken recipe is!