As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This chicken enchilada spaghetti squash is a deliciously stuffed spaghetti squash filled with everything you love about chicken enchiladas.
I love chicken enchiladas. But now that I’m trying to watch my carbs for the sake of my blood sugar, the tortillas are really not on my okay list any longer. It sucks getting old, but sometimes you just have to give something up to give your body what it wants. Enter this Clean Eating Chicken Enchilada Spaghetti Squash Recipe.
I refuse to give up my enchiladas, so I had to come up with a way to still enjoy the flavors without having the tortillas to wrap the chicken in. I recently bought several spaghetti squashes and was looking for a way to use them, so I figured, “why not?!”.
It turned out to be a pretty darn good if I do say so myself. I got to enjoy the same flavors that I usually do, but with far fewer carbs. It was delicious!
It saves pretty well too. I just wrapped the half that we didn’t eat in plastic wrap and it kept for a good 4 days until we could finish it.
I don’t recommend freezing this though. Just to put that out there. But you can make this the easy way by using a prepared rotisserie chicken. If you happen to have a Whole Foods nearby, they have clean rotisserie chickens. I usually get the plain one. But most places that roast their chickens on site will take special orders, so you can request one or two chickens without anything on them. And lets face it, nothing beats rotisserie chicken. It just has way more flavor than chicken cooked other ways. I love it! (Rotisserie chicken carcasses make great chicken broth too!!).
More Healthy Recipes
CHICKEN ENCHILADA SPAGHETTI SQUASH RECIPE
Chicken Enchilada Spaghetti Squash Recipe
- 1 medium spaghetti squash, cleaned and baked
- 3 cups shredded, cooked chicken
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp. arrowroot powder (optional, but helps thicken the sauce)
- ¼ cup chili powder
- 1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste (no sugar added – 1 can)
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- ½ cup jack cheese shredded
- ½ cup cheddar cheese shredded
- Pre-bake your spaghetti squash and set aside.
- Shred the chicken as well as the cheeses and set aside.
- Prepare the enchilada sauce in a medium to large mixing bowl by whisking together the oil, arrowroot powder (if using), chili powder, tomato paste, water, cumin, garlic powder and onion powder. Set aside.
- When all is prepared, put half off the chicken in each half of the spaghetti squash.
- Ladle on plenty of enchilada sauce, as much as you like. (you might have a little left over. It makes a lot, but it freezes well!)
- Cover each half of the squash with half the cheese and place the squash halves on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 375 F. for 20 minutes, or until the cheese is fully melted.
- Using two forks, scrap the spaghetti squash up inside the skins, mixing everything together as you go. Feel free to add a little more sauce if it seems too dry.
- Serve with a salad or other veggie on the side. (I made roasted asparagus, but most veggies will work here.)