This easy Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore recipe is the perfect save for dinner!
I recently spent several weeks prepping my house so I could show it and sell it. It was an ordeal because half my cooking tools/gadgets were packed and my kitchen always needed to be in perfect, “hotel-like” condition in case somebody wanted to come by and see it at any moment. So that left me with limited ability to cook. Not good for a food blogger!!
But kitchen woes aside, it forced me to rely on my slow cooker. A slow cooker that was temporarily stored in the oven when I had to find a hiding spot for it in order to show the house.
Of course, a few days later, I forgot it was in there and turned on the oven to a lovely 400 degrees F. Needless to say, slow cookers are not meant to be baked in the oven and my house was smelling more like plastic then like a tasty dinner that day.
I cooled it off, washed off the odd “red spider web” looking stuff that was suddenly all over the inside of the heating unit as well as the crock (what do they glaze those crocks with anyway????) and gave it a try.
Amazingly, it actually survived and cooks just as well as it ever did. I mean, I expected the crock to survive, but the heating unit I thought was toast for sure.
Thankfully, it’s just fine and so was my Clean Eating Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore recipe. I loved making this simply because the ingredients were simple and I had the whole thing in the crock in about 5 minutes. Super easy and dinner was incredibly tasty. Mini Chef absolutely adored it and even took some for lunch the next day. Gotta love good leftovers!!
Cacciatore means “hunter” in Italian. In cuisine, alla cacciatora refers to a meal prepared “hunter-style” with onions, herbs, usually tomatoes, often bell peppers, and sometimes wine. Cacciatore was named for the Italian poet Antonio Cacciatore. Wikipedia
Serve this over your favorite pasta or even over Zoodles!! Either way, it’s a fabulously delicious dinner!
More Healthy Slow Cooker Recipes
- Slow Cooker Pineapple Chicken Verde
- Slow Cooker Black Bean Mexican Chicken
- Slow Cooker Tortilla Chicken Stew
SLOW COOKER CHICKEN CACCIATORE RECIPE:
Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore Recipe
- 1 lb. chicken breast (cut into chunks)
- 8 oz. sliced mushrooms
- 1 medium red bell pepper (diced)
- 6 oz. can tomato paste (I use the organic Kirkland brand from Costco)
- ¾ cup water
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tbsp. Italian Seasoning (Store-bought – found in the spice aisle – or homemade – see link above)
- salt to taste after cooking
- Place the raw chicken in the base of your crock and top with the mushrooms and chopped pepper.
- In a mixing bowl, combine all remaining ingredients except salt, and whisk together to create the sauce.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and veggies making sure it sinks down to the bottom and around the edges to prevent burning.
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours and serve over your favorite pasta or even over Zoodles.