As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This slow cooker tortilla chicken stew cooks all day while you work!
I’ve heard from many teachers who remind me that the kids aren’t the only ones going back to school. With lesson plans to create, tests and papers to grade and all those million other things that teachers do for their school kids, let alone their own families, these amazing people run short of time just like any other parent.
Their commitment to their work and educating our kids is nothing short of admirable, and since this month is all about going back to school, this week’s recipes are all about teachers who just want a nice warm meal to be ready when you get home. These might be good for a few of you other busy folks out there as well.
This stew is quick and easy to toss together. You can do it the night before and simply store in the fridge in your slow cooker’s removable dish. Then when you leave in the morning, just put the insert in the slow cooker and head out the door! Dinner will be waiting when you arrive home with all those stacks of papers to grade.
More Healthy Crock Pot Meals
Slow Cooker Tortilla Chicken Stew Recipe Card
Slow Cooker Tortilla Chicken Stew Recipe
- Slow Cooker (5 ½ quarts or larger)
- 1 ½ lb. raw chicken breasts
- 1 (12 oz.) jar your favorite clean salsa (I used Salsa Authentica from Trader Joe’s)
- 1 lb. frozen corn, thawed
- 1 lb. frozen, mixed bell peppers (also found at Trader Joe’s)
- 3 standard-sized clean corn tortillas, ripped or shredded by hand
- olives and plain yogurt for garnish (optional)
- Place the chicken in the bottom of the pot, and pour everything else over it. (Cover and store in the fridge overnight if needed)
- Place pot/insert in your slow cooker and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
- Note that the tortillas will not look very pretty after cooking. But they do add a nice flavor.
- When cooking is finished, simply use a wooden spoon to stir everything up and break apart the chicken.
- Serve garnished with some sliced, black olives and/or a dab of plain yogurt.
This recipe from the Gracious Pantry archives, originally published 8/30/13.
I'm Tiffany, a cookbook author, food lover, mom, and writer for MSN and the AP Newswire.
Looking to stock your freezer for busy weeknights?
I wrote the book! Grab a copy of my book, Clean Eating Freezer Meals on Amazon here, or at select bookstores nationwide!