This black bean Mexican chicken is that one dish you’ll really love coming home to for dinner.
Chicken can get boring really fast. So I’m constantly trying to create new ways to prepare it. We are definitely a chicken household around here, so boredom is just not an option in that department. Thankfully, I occasionally still come up with a winner. Something like this clean eating black bean Mexican chicken recipe. Can we say, “yum“??!
Mini Chef is getting wise to my “healthy food antics” these days. He’s getting close to 7 years old and he notices when I sneak things into his food now. He’s getting pickier, even though he has a pretty good palate for a 6 year old, and I’m not sure I like that very much. But at the end of the day, he’ll usually eat what I put in front of him, so I guess I can’t complain. Thankfully, I got a really favorable reaction to this dish. No arguments about dinner that night! Whoo hoo! Mom scores again!
This isn’t spicy, so it’s kid-friendly and can be enjoyed on it’s own, as a burrito filling or as a “topping” over rice. It’s pretty versatile stuff, and it’s super delicious too!
Remember to subscribe to my free, Gracious Pantry Newsletter to receive all my latest recipes in your inbox! Click here to sign up!
MORE HEALTHY BLACK BEAN RECIPES:
BLACK BEAN MEXICAN CHICKEN RECIPE:
Black Bean Mexican Chicken Recipe
- 7 oz. boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. onion powder
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 small red onion, chopped
- 1 (15 oz.) can or home-cooked black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes OR fresh, chopped tomatoes
- salt to taste after cooking
- Lay the onions at the bottom of your crock.
- Place the chicken breasts over that.
- Sprinkle the spices over the chicken.
- Layer the tomatoes over that, and then finally the beans.
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- When finished, stir the chicken in the crock so that it shreds.
- Serve with some fresh cilantro.