As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This clean eating black bean soup recipe can be enjoy either hot or cold!
A lifetime ago, I was a South Beach Diet fanatic.
In one of their cookbooks, they had a recipe for Black Bean Soup that was simply to-die-for. I loved it. I ate it every night for dinner for about 2 weeks straight. It was that good.
Sadly, I have since given away the books and completely forgotten how to make their recipe. But the good news is, I’ve come up with my own recipe for clean eating black bean soup, and I love it just as much! Topped with a little fresh cilantro, a bowl of this soup pretty much makes a full meal! In fact, if you are vegetarian or vegan, all you’d have to do is add a whole grain to make a complete protein for a fabulous Meatless Monday dinner!
I love making this from scratch in the slow cooker because dry beans are so cheap to buy in bulk. It’s also a very quick and easy recipe prep-wise simply because you just pour everything in the post, turn on the slow cooker and go do whatever you have to do for 6 hours. When you get home for dinner, all you have to do is blend and serve.
This would be great served with a slice of whole grain garlic bread too, and makes an easy lunch to take to work!
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY THESE CLEAN EATING RECIPES:
- Clean Eating Split Pea Soup
- Clean Eating Lentil Soup
- Clean Eating Beans And Barley Soup
- Clean Eating Chicken And Dumplings
CLEAN EATING BLACK BEAN SOUP RECIPE:
Clean Eating Black Bean Soup
- 8 cups vegetable broth (no sugar added, low sodium if possible)
- 2 cups dry black beans (rinsed and pre-soaked if you prefer to soak beans before cooking)
- 3 cups sliced carrots
- 2 cups sliced celery
- 2 tbsp. onion powder
- 2 tbsp. garlic powder
- 2 tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 tbsp. dried parsley
- salt and pepper to taste after cooking
- fresh cilantro (optional for garnish)
- SLOW COOKER INSTRUCTIONS:
- In a 5 quart crock pot, combine all ingredients.
- Cook on high setting for approximately 6 hours, or until the beans are soft and cooked through (or, cook on low for 8-10 hours). It's important to know your slow cooker. Each slow cooker cooks differently. Adjust cooking times and temperatures accordingly.
- Using a hand blender, blend the soup right in the crock pot until you achieve the texture and smoothness you prefer. If you don't have a hand blender, cool the soup for a bit and then transfer a few cups at a time into a blender or food processor and blend till smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper and garnish with fresh cilantro if desired.
- INSTANT POT INSTRUCTIONS:
- If you prefer to cook this faster with an IP, the only thing that changes is the settings. Set at high pressure, press the manual button and adjust cooking time to 35 minutes. Make sure the lid is secure and the vent is closed. When done cooking, blend as instructed above.
- STOVE TOP INSTRUCTIONS:
- While this recipe is MUCH easier to make in a slow cooker or Instant Pot, it can also be made on the stove top if you don't have one of the other two appliances. The difference is in the cooking time. It can take a good long while for dry beans to cook. The important thing is to keep a lid on them so that the liquid doesn't evaporate too much during cooking. Keep an eye on this just in case you need to add more broth. This recipe was formulated for a slow cooker, but it can absolutely be made on the stove top if you have the time and patience.