This healthy chicken and dumplings recipe is a game changer! It’s comforting, filling and made with healthy, real food ingredients!
This is one of those meals that I had never cooked or even eaten before. Don’t ask me why, but for some reason, my childhood just did not include Chicken and Dumplings. Therefor, neither has my adulthood. But this healthy chicken and dumplings recipe has just flipped my world upside down.
Chicken And Dumplings In The Crock Pot
If you prefer crock pot chicken and dumplings, not to worry. I have you covered! Below are instructions for making this on the stovetop or in a slow cooker. The choice is yours!
Whole Grain Dumplings
Just a word of caution. If you are not used to whole grain dumplings, they may take a little getting used to. I find these absolutely delicious, but it’s been a long time since I’ve eaten processed grains. So my taste buds are already adjusted. I will say that lots of people have tried this recipe and thoroughly enjoyed it. But I thought I should mention it because some folks really take issue with the switch to whole grains in a recipe like this.
Remember to subscribe to my free, Gracious Pantry Newsletter to receive all my latest recipes in your inbox! Click here to sign up!
More Healthy Comfort Food
Chicken And Dumplings Recipe
Chicken And Dumplings Recipe
- Slow cooker or stock pot
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth (no sugar added)
- 1 tbsp. dried marjoram
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- 4 medium boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into small chunks
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 4 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 4 medium stalks celery, cleaned and sliced
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (affiliate link)
- 1 tbsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup milk (unsweetened almond milk works for a non-dairy version)
- Pour the broth into your crock pot (or into a large soup pot if cooking on a stove top).
- Add the marjoram and garlic powder to the broth and turn the crock pot to high (stove top, bring to a slow boil)
- In a pan, combine the olive oil, onion, carrots and celery. Saute until the onions are translucent.
- Add the veggies and cut up chicken to the crock pot (or soup pot).
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt. Whisk to blend well.
- Pour in the oil and milk and mix with a wooden spoon.
- (Be sure the broth is hot before adding the dumplings to the pot) Using two teaspoons, scoop up and round off your dumplings and scrap into your pot. (Just like making drop cookies)
- Boil until the dumplings and chicken are cooked.
Slow Cooker Directions:
- I cooked this on high for about 3-1/2 hours. But if you need to cook it longer because you are leaving for the day (or cooking overnight), turn the slow cooker to low and cook until the dumplings and chicken are cooked through. (My guess is about 6 hours). It’s important to know how your slow cooker cooks here. Every slow cooker is slightly different.
- Also, the dumplings will look a little odd after they have been cooking at the top of the stew all day. They create a sort of “crust-like” layer. Just break them up with a wooden spoon and stir them into the stew to finish cooking. Simply break one open to be sure it’s cooked all the way.