As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Fish and Chips that aren’t deep fried and bad for you? Yep! This Healthy Air Fryer Fish N’ Chips recipe proves it!
I got an air fryer for Christmas. I’m not sure I knew what I was getting myself into with this thing either. I mean, I’m still getting use to my Instant Pot, and now I’m bringing in another new gadget. It’s a little overwhelming, but I get the point of it and I have to say that it really does do what it claims to do. It does allow you to cook with less fat.
Now as many of you enlightened people know, good fats are essential for us. And if you follow a low carb eating plan, they become even more important. But if you eat carbs regularly, it is important to limit your fat intake to reasonable amounts.
Now all of us, at one time or another, have thrown caution to the wind and just enjoyed a big plate of deep fried foods we know are not healthy for us. The one thing I love about the air fryer is that I can make “junk food” healthy. Chips, fries, cheese sticks, zucchini sticks, all of these unhealthy favorites can be made much healthier in an air fryer. Favorites like this Clean Eating Air Fryer Fish N’ Chips. It really is a profound moment when you realize you can still have all your old favorites while still encouraging health. And for that, I really do love this air fryer.
I made these Clean Eating Air Fryer Fish N’ Chips with almond flour to keep the carbs down. But you can certainly substitute with whole grain flour and/or whole grain bread crumbs instead. In fact, the best way to substitute would be a 1/2 cup whole grain flour and 1/2 cup whole grain bread crumbs. But the choice is yours! Either way, these were delicious and I felt like I had enjoyed something just a little bit sinful.
P.S. – Don’t worry if you don’t have an air fryer. I give you directions for other cooking methods below as well. Enjoy!
Need An Air Fryer?
This is the one I got (affiliate link):
More Healthy Seafood Recipes
Healthy Air Fryer Fish N’ Chips Recipe
Healthy Air Fryer Fish N’ Chips
- Air Fryer
- 1 ¼ lb. cod (I purchased it in small pieces instead of a fillet – either way works)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 tbsp. dried parsley
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. arrowroot powder (organic cornstarch works too)
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat the eggs with a whisk until well combined.
- In a separate, medium mixing bowl, mix together the almond flour, parsley, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and arrowroot powder (or cornstarch). Combine thoroughly.
- Dip the fish pieces into the egg and then roll in the breading, making sure to cover each part of the fish.
AIR FRYER INSTRUCTIONS:
- Place the fish pieces in a single layer in the basket of the air fryer. Set to 350 for 7 minutes. When done, flip the pieces of fish in the basked and repeat for another 7 minutes.
- Place the fish pieces on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake in a preheated oven at 350 F. for approximately 12-15 minutes, or until fish is fully cooked through.
- Pour plenty of oil in your skillet and heat. Place the fish pieces in the hot oil and cooke for about 2-3 minutes on each side or until the fish is cooked through and the breading is a golden brown on both sides.