Anybody who reads my blog with any regularity knows that I’m a big lover of latin flavors. Mexican food is one of my favorites. But many people who follow clean eating principles know, just cause you love something, doesn’t mean it’s good for you. That was one of my biggest hurdles when I started eating clean. I loved our local Mexican food restaurant!!
But many years have passed since I made that adjustment and these days, I enjoy my own, homemade “Mexican” food far better than anything from a restaurant. I think many clean eaters notice that over time, tastes change and adjust away from processed foods and homemade suddenly tastes the best! (As it should!!)
So I couldn’t continue with this little “series” of sheet pan dinners without offering up at least one dish with some latin flare. This Mexican style chicken dinner is so delicious just on its own! Serve it up as a full dinner topped with some avocado (or guacamole!) and even some fresh cilantro. It’s amazingly filling and just plain yummy! But here’s a little secret about this recipe. Make it on a Tuesday night, shred the chicken with forks after cooking, and you’ve got a fantastic taco filling for Taco Tuesdays!!
These were so tasty!! After all, you can stuff a taco shell with just about anything and it will always taste amazing. Am I right? Well… within reason anyway. My point being that you can serve this dish any way you like. In fact, you could even make absolutely delicious burritos with this as well! The sky’s the limit with this one!
So prep this on the weekend, then bust out that sheet pan on Tuesday night and dinner will surely be very well received by all!
Recipe note: If you can’t find packages of vegetables in the same size that I used, just get the closest you can find. A little more or less won’t make a difference in cooking. You can also add more chicken for more people, or easily cut the recipe in half for one person if you so choose. That’s the nice thing about sheet pan dinners. They are totally adjustable to your needs.
NEED A GOOD SHEET PAN?
This Nordic Ware Half Sheet is very similar to what I have and use. (I got mine at a local restaurant supply store.) It’s perfect for this type of recipe!
WANT TO SEE THIS RECIPE IN ACTION? PRESS PLAY!!
LIKE THESE CLEAN EATING SHEET PAN RECIPES?
- 1 (10 oz.) bag frozen corn (organic to avoid GMO’s)
- 1 (12 oz.) bag frozen pearl onions
- 1 (14 oz.) bag frozen tri-colored bell peppers
- 2 frozen chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. dried cilantro
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin
- Oil for cooking
- 1 lime (optional for garnish)
- Place the frozen items and spices into a 1 gallon, zipper-top freezer bag and toss to combine.
- Store in the freezer for up to 4 months.
- When ready, preheat oven to 350 F.
- Open the bag and pour in some oil (I used 1/3 cup).
- Close up the bag again and toss to coat the contents with oil.
- Pour the contents of the bag out onto a sheet pan with edges.
- Bake for 1 hour or until the chicken reaches at least 165 F. on a meat thermometer.
- Cool slightly and serve sprinkled with fresh lime juice if desired.