As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This easy sesame chicken recipe is delicious and wonderful served over a bowl of rice, or mix in some veggies for a delicious stir fry!
I wanted to give you this really quick and simple recipe for making sesame chicken because it’s a really versatile dish that can be enjoyed in an Asian salad, over rice, with veggies, or in a stir fry. It’s a super easy dish to adjust to whatever you feel like making.
Clean eating often involves a lot of baked chicken breasts. So this is just one more delicious way to prepare them. It’s delish! (And if you don’t know what clean eating is, you can read more here.)
How To Make Sesame Chicken
You’ll want two larger bowls for this recipe, plus a large skillet. First, you’ll combine the chicken ingredients (without the chicken), in one of the bowls. Whisk it well to incorporate the arrowroot powder well without any clumps left behind. You’ll need to scrape the bowl for this as it tends to want to stick to the bowl. Once that’s mixed, you’ll add your chicken
Once that’s done, set it aside and start mixing the sauce ingredients. Once again, make sure the arrowroot powder gets well incorporated. You’ll need to mix it up again before adding it to the pan as the powder tends to settle at the bottom of the bowl as it sits.
Next, you’ll put some oil in your skillet and cook the chicken.
Once the chicken is pretty much done, you’ll quickly whisk the sauce one more time and then pour it over the chicken. It will thicken quickly, so stir continuously. Once you have a nice glaze consistency, remove it from the heat quickly. You can then serve it over rice with a side of veggies!
If you want to make a stir fry with this instead, add your veggies to the pan just after browning your chicken so they can be sautéd together. Then pour the sauce over everything. There will be plenty to cover some veggies too.
Sprinkle some sesame seeds over the top of everything for garnish and enjoy!
More Healthy Asian Chicken Recipes
Sesame Chicken Recipe
Sesame Chicken Recipe
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp. arrowroot powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 1 ½ lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts (cut into bite-size chunks)
- 1 tbsp. toasted sesame oil
- ¼ cup coconut aminos (or low sodium tamari or soy sauce)
- ¼ cup Sucanat (or other clean, dry sweetener)
- 1 tbsp. white vinegar
- 1 tbsp. arrowroot powder
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 2 tbsp. sesame seeds + extra for garnish
- Combine all the chicken ingredients (except the chicken) in a bowl and whisk well to combine.
- Add the chicken and toss well to coat the chicken.
- Transfer the chicken to a large skillet with oil and cook the chicken to nearly done over medium heat.
- When the chicken is about 1 minute from being totally done, keep the heat at medium and stir in the sauce. It should thicken quickly.
- Remove skillet from heat and serve the chicken over rice or with veggies or both.
Recipe updated from 4/3/10 version.