This egg roll in a bowl recipe is a one-pot meal that can be made in an Instant pot or on your stove top.
I love one pot meals! Who wants all those dishes after you work so hard to prepare a meal? Personally, I make this in my Instant Pot every single time. It’s just so crazy easy.
But it can also be made on the stove top and I’ll give you directions for that as well. However, you’ll use more dishes. The choice is yours.
CAN YOU FREEZE EGG ROLL IN A BOWL
While I’ve personally never been a fan of freezing this, you absolutely can. I wouldn’t leave it in the freezer for more than two months though and reheat gently. You may need to add a bit more of the coconut aminos or soy sauce to liven up the flavor, but it will reheat pretty well. Best bet is to thaw it in the fridge overnight.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH EGG ROLL IN A BOWL
This dish pretty much stands by itself. But if you are really looking for a side dish, some steamed or sautéd veggies would be good and/or a side of rice.
Remember to subscribe to my free, Gracious Pantry Newsletter to receive all my latest recipes in your inbox! Click here to sign up!
MORE HEALTHY ASIAN RECIPES:
EGG ROLL IN A BOWL RECIPE:
- Instant Pot
- 1 1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup chicken broth (no sugar added, low sodium is best)
- 1 medium head green cabbage (cored and sliced)
- 1 medium yellow onion (cut into halved slices like you would for grilled onions)
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos (or low sodium soy sauce)
- 1 medium carrot (peeled and finely grated - optional)
- 2 medium green onions (sliced - both green and white parts)
- 2 tbsp. sesame seeds (optional but tasty)
Instant Pot Instructions
- Place the chicken breasts and the chicken broth in your Instant Pot. Close the lid and vent. Press the manual button and adjust time to 12 minutes.
- When the chicken is done, drain off the remaining liquid and shred the chicken. Transfer to a separate bowl while you cook the rest.
- Press the sauté button and put the oil in the IP. (No need to clean it after cooking the chicken)
- Melt the oil and add the chopped onions and cabbage.
- Cook them down until they are wilted and you have some brown coating on the bottom of the pot.
- Add in the spices and chicken and stir well for about 1-2 minutes.
- Lastly, stir in the coconut aminos (or soy sauce), sprinkle with any toppings you like and serve.
Stove Top Instructions
- Cook the chicken separately. You can bake it, boil it or fry it, the choice is yours. Cook it plain with no seasonings. Then shred it.
- In a large skillet or stock pot, add the oil, onions and cabbage and stir, cooking until the cabbage and onions have wilted.
- Add the spices and chicken and stir.
- Lastly, pour the coconut aminos (or soy sauce) over the top and add any toppings you like.