Clean Eating Barbecued Southwestern Chicken And Shrimp Skillet Recipe
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This clean eating barbecued southwestern chicken and shrimp skillet recipe is perfect for summer grilling!
It’s summer, and for some reason, this season really brings out my cravings for fresh, Southwestern flavors. Second only to Mexican food, Southwestern food is one of my favorites. I love the fresh produce, fresh flavors, and natural goodness that this type of food provides this time of year.
The fresh lime juice, chopped fresh cilantro and avocado really make this dish and bring out it’s full range of flavors.
This recipe has a smaller yield. I would say 2 to 4 servings, depending on portion size. We ate it up pretty fast and I will say that if you have company coming over, you’ll probably want to double up on the recipe. But if not, this is great for one or two people and you may even have a tiny bit left over to add to a salad for lunch the next day.
Leftovers are marvelous, aren’t they? So warm up that barbecue!
This one is easy to prep too. You can do it up to 2 days ahead of time if you need to. Just follow the directions and stop once everything is in the plastic bag. Store in the fridge until you are ready to cook!
For this, I used pre-cooked, frozen shrimp. So if you are using fresh shrimp, you will need to add them to the plastic bag with the chicken and cook as needed. I just like to work with the pre-cooked stuff as a personal preference, so the instructions here reflect that.
OTHER CLEAN EATING RECIPES YOU MIGHT ENJOY:
Clean Eating Shrimp & Kale Salad – This lovely salad is light, bursting with flavor and lets face it…. with all that kale, it’s just downright good for you!
Clean Eating Italian-Style Shrimp – An amazingly simple-to-make dish that will have everyone at the dinner table asking for the recipe!
If you need a good cast iron skillet, this one from Amazon (affiliate link) is a good quality pan without breaking the bank.
CLEAN EATING BARBECUED SOUTHWESTERN CHICKEN AND SHRIMP SKILLET RECIPE:
Clean Eating Barbecued Southwestern Chicken And Shrimp Skillet
- 1 ¼ lb. chicken breasts (boneless, skinless, cut into bite-sized pieces)
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1 large orange bell pepper
- 3 medium limes
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small bunch fresh cilantro
- 1 lb. pre-cooked shrimp (I used frozen/thawed)
- 4 small avocados (chopped)
- salt and pepper as needed
- In a large zipper-top bag (about 1 gallon), combine the chicken, garlic powder, cumin bell peppers, the juice of one of the limes, oil and one tablespoon of the cilantro. Shake well to combine everything and properly coat the chicken with the seasonings.
- Transfer the bag contents to a large cast iron skillet (or barbecue pan) and place the pan on your pre-heated barbecue. Grill for approximately 20-30 minutes. You want the chicken to be almost done cooking.
- Add the thawed, pre-cooked shrimp to the pan and continue cooking until all the meat and shrimp are cooked to your liking. The chicken should reach at least 165 F. on a meat thermometer. The total cook time is about 40 minutes, but grill times can vary greatly depending on your grill. So use your thermometer here to be sure.
- If you prefer to cook some of the larger pieces longer than the rest, simply remove them from the pan and place them directly on the grill until cooked through.
- Once everything is done cooking, transfer it all to a large bowl and stir in the avocado and the rest of the cilantro. Sprinkle some lime juice on from the remaining limes and enjoy.
- Serve any leftover lime in wedges with the meal.
Looks so delicious and fresh!
Erena – Thanks! It was! 🙂