Honey Mustard Chicken (Instant Pot Recipe)
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This Honey Mustard Chicken is a delicious dish you can make in minutes with minimal prep or cooking time. Your Instant Pot does almost all the work and you’ll get dinner on the table fast.
Honey mustard flavor in anything can be absolutely delicious. It’s a popular flavor and for good reason.
What Is Honey Mustard Chicken?
Typically, it’s chicken glazed and baked with a honey mustard glaze, sauce or dressing. Normally, the honey will caramelize on the chicken during baking.
But Since this is an Instant Pot recipe, I just put all the honey mustard sauce ingredients into the Instant Pot. You will end up with more broth or sauce making it this way, but that’s definitely not a bad thing!
Can You Us Frozen Chicken?
You actually can, yes. But you’ll need to add 5 extra minutes to the cooking time. Also note that you will end up with extra liquid in the final dish. You can use it for sauce, or strain a bit of it off. But you’ll want to keep most of the sauce with the chicken.
Can You Freeze Honey Mustard Chicken?
Absolutely! In fact, this honey mustard chicken freezes very well. I highly recommend freezing this in single servings unless you plan to feed a large crowd. And if that’s the case, give yourself at least two days to thaw it in the fridge. But otherwise, single servings will thaw best, either in the fridge overnight or in the microwave or even on a stove top.
Storing Honey Mustard Chicken
This recipe will keep in the fridge for up to three days. I never go beyond three days with any type of meat for food safety reasons. But that’s the culinary school safety classes in me talking. Some say you can go up to four days, but I never want to risk it.
What You’ll Need
1½ lb. chicken thighs – You can use raw or frozen chicken. But if you use frozen, you’ll want to add 5 minutes to the cooking time. I used raw chicken.
1 tbsp. garlic powder – I used garlic granules. But most people will probably have garlic powder which works just as well.
¼ cup honey – This can be any type of honey you have at home. I personally used Xylitol honey to sweeten this because it’s easier on my blood sugar.
½ cup dijon mustard – This was just a regular dijon mustard. Yellow mustard could work, but the dijon really makes the flavor here.
You’ll want to make sure the mustard you use has no sugar added. It’s amazing to me how many bottles of mustard out there have unneeded, unnecessarily added sugar. Read your ingredient lists!
1 tbsp. smoked paprika – You can use regular paprika, but again, you’ll be missing out on flavor here. The smoked variety really works well here.
1 cup chicken broth – I used a low sodium broth. Check your chicken broth for added sugar too. The Imagine Brand has a great, no-sugar-added chicken broth. (Not paid to promote them.) Many broths use dextrose as a sweetener. So be on the lookout for that.
How To Make Honey Mustard Chicken
Layer the ingredients into your Instant Pot’s metal bowl insert in the order given.
Place the metal bowl inside the Instant Pot and secure the lid and valve. Set pressure to high. Set time to 14 minutes (19 if using frozen chicken). Allow a 10 minute natural release before opening the steam valve (don’t burn your hand!) When all the steam is released, open your lid and shred the chicken. I find this is easiest to do with an electric hand mixer. But forks will do the trick as well.
Note that you can easily adjust the honey or the mustard after cooking if you feel the flavors are not strong enough or balanced enough for you. Feel free to add more of either.
How To Serve This Honey Mustard Chicken
Because this is made in an Instant Pot instead of being baked with a honey mustard glaze, the best option is to shred the chicken. It’s completely delicious and can be used in several ways. They are:
- Pasta – Mix into pasta for a delicious pasta salad.
- Rice Bowls – Serve over rice for a honey mustard chicken and rice bowl.
- Fries – Spoon this over sweet potato fries (similar to chili fries) and top with fresh ingredients such as onions and chopped herbs like parsley.
- Wraps – While this would never be a traditional burrito, you can easily make a wrap by adding well-paired ingredients such as rice, lettuce, fresh onions and even tomatoes.
- Tacos – Yes, tacos too. Again, you’ll want to select well-paired toppings, but this does make delicious taco filling.
- Quinoa Bowls – This pairs nicely with quinoa as well. Simply toss in a few other fresh veggies for a complete meal.
Remember to subscribe to my free newsletter to receive all my latest recipes in your inbox. Click here to sign up!
Instant Pot Honey Mustard Chicken Recipe
Instant Pot Honey Mustard Chicken Recipe
- 1½ lb. chicken thighs (raw)
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- ¼ cup honey
- ½ cup dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp. smoked paprika
- 1 cup chicken broth (no sugar added)
- Layer the ingredients into your Instant Pot's metal bowl insert in the order given.
- Place the metal bowl inside the Instant Pot and secure the lid and valve. Set pressure to high. Set time to 14 minutes. Allow a 10 minute natural release before opening the steam valve (don't burn your hand!) When all the steam is released, open your lid and shred the chicken. I find this is easiest to do with an electric hand mixer. But forks will do the trick as well.
- Serve over rice or with a side of veggies and a salad. Note that you can easily adjust the honey or the mustard after cooking if you feel the flavors are not strong enough or balanced enough for you. Feel free to add more taste of either.
Great simple recipe. I loved the “melt in your mouth feeling” and I also loved the quick prep time. Thank you for this simple but tasty one! 🙂
Griff – My pleasure! Glad you enjoyed it! 🙂