These bacon stuffed chicken thighs are what you want to make when you need everyone to love dinner.
Everyone loves bacon, and while I no longer eat pork bacon, I did find a clean bacon by Applegate, and life has been good ever since.
This one was actually Mini Chef’s creation. I was at a loss for what to make for dinner so I told him to invent something, and the rest is fabulous, delicious history that has been made several times since that night.
FAST CHICKEN DINNERS:
We all need that quick and easy chicken dinner. And while some may be quicker than this one, I promise it won’t be by much. You actually don’t have to do anything with the chicken except lay it flat on the baking sheet. The only prep required is chopping the onions and mushrooms, and sautéing them while you bake the bacon in the oven. So you’ll have a couple things going on at once, but it’s basic and easy to do. Promise!
You can sauté the veggies and bake the bacon ahead of time if that’s more convenient. Then all you have to do is layer on the toppings (these are really more like “bacon topped” than “bacon stuffed”), and pop them in the oven. So simple and so crazy delicious. But then, anything with bacon usually is!
WHAT TO SERVE THIS WITH
Here are some ideas for what this will pair well with:
- Pasta (cut it up and mix it into your pasta – yum!)
- Pretty much anything that will taste good with chicken and bacon!
If you are making this for meal prep, it’s super easy to do. Just follow the recipe instructions, then pack a single thigh with whatever sides you want and keep up to three of them in the fridge. (They will last three days). The other thighs can go right into the freezer (without the sides!) and will keep in the freezer for about 3-4 months.
Remember to subscribe to my free, Gracious Pantry Newsletter to receive all my latest recipes in your inbox! Click here to sign up!
MORE HEALTHY CHICKEN RECIPES:
BACON STUFFED CHICKEN THIGHS RECIPE
Bacon Stuffed Chicken Thighs RecipePrint Pin Rate
- Cookie sheet
- 2.5 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 medium red onion (chopped medium-fine)
- 8 oz. package brown mushrooms
- 8 oz. package turkey bacon (Apple Gate makes one that is clean and has no sugar)
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper (divided)
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil (or other oil you prefer)
- 8 tbsp. grated parmesan cheese (1/2 cup)
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Bake the turkey bacon on a large cookie sheet for 15 minutes.
- While the bacon bakes, unroll the chicken thighs and lay them flat on a parchment-lined cookie sheet.
- In a skillet over medium-low heat, sauté the onions and mushrooms until they are well reduced and browned (not burnt!) When you are nearly ready to take them off the heat, stir in the garlic powder, 1 tsp. of the black pepper and all of the salt. Stir well for about 1-2 minutes more and remove from heat.
- When the bacon is done cooking, stack it on a cutting board and cut it into small pieces.
- Season the chicken thighs with the remaining black pepper.
- Layer everything onto the chicken thighs. Bacon first, the mushroom mix next, and then top with 1 tbsp. parmesan cheese on each thigh.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads at least 165 degrees F.
- Allow to cool slightly and serve.
- Good pairings for this are a side of your favorite veggies and some brown rice. We had broccoli with this, but asparagus would be wonderful as well.