After a fabulous walk on the bike trails this afternoon, I was feeling pretty good about myself. A little exercise, a little sunshine, a little good music on my iPod and life was looking pretty good. So I thought I’d come home and try a new recipe I had rattling around in my head all day, and I have to say, it’s one of my best yet.
This dish is busting with flavor, is filling yet light in the tummy and comes together pretty quickly. If you have young kids, it’s a good teaching recipe as well. Mini Chef helped with this one by prepping and chopping the asparagus, as well as stirring everything in the pan. In fact, he was completely comfortable with taking credit for the entire recipe as well as for the fact that it turned out so well. He insisted it would not have turned out as well if he wasn’t helping, and frankly, I’m inclined to believe him.
Give it a try. You’ll see…
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY:
- Clean Eating Chicken Bok Choy
- Clean Eating Wok-Style Garlic Chicken & Carrots
- Clean Eating Chicken & Chard
Clean Eating Chicken & Asparagus Skillet
- 2 (about 1 lb or 454g) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, chopped into small chunks
- 1 lb. (454g) fresh asparagus
- 2 tsp. coconut oil (non-stick pay) OR 1 tbsp. coconut oil (regular skillet)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/4 cup (or 4 tbsp.) chopped, flat leaf parsley
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt and pepper to taste after cooking
- 1/2 medium avocado, peeled and cut into chunks
- Cut up those chicken breasts into small, bite sized pieces. The smaller they are, the faster they will cook, which is what we want here. This meal should come together in under 30 minutes from start to finish.
- Chop the cleaned asparagus into pieces that are somewhere between 1/2-1 inch in length.
- Get your garlic chopped up as well.
- Now here’s the thing… If you like your asparagus with a little crisp, add it to the pan at the same time as the chicken and garlic. But if you prefer your asparagus to be a little softer, put it in the pan first with the oil and give it a head start over low heat while you cut up the chicken and garlic. (Don’t you just love customizable recipes?)
- Once you have the chicken, garlic and asparagus in the pan with the oil, stir in the dried thyme and finally the parsley.
- While that’s cooking (still over low to low-medium heat), juice your lime and set the juice aside. You won’t be adding it until after everything is cooked.
- Keep stirring. You aren’t using a lot of oil here, so you’ll need to keep the heat low and stir often to avoid burning. If you really feel the oil isn’t enough but you don’t want to add more (which you can do if you like), add a little chicken broth to keep things going.
- Once the chicken is cooked through, remove the pan from the heat and quickly stir in the lime juice.
- Add a little salt and pepper to taste. When you’ve got that right, serve this with the avocado over the top. Don’t skip the avocado as it really gives the dish that extra something special. In fact, you may be tempted to add the other half of that avocado. I sure did and I did not regret a single thing.
- And if you’re going for presentation here, sprinkle a little extra fresh parsley over the top for good measure.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 15 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 3