As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This German chocolate oatmeal is the perfect breakfast for those who love the chocolate and coconut flavor combination of German chocolate.
My love of coconut is a relatively new thing. I’ve only liked it for about a year. Before that, you couldn’t get me to stand within ten feet of a coconut. It was like a bad date I couldn’t wait to get away from.
Now, I’m not sure what changed, but I can’t seem to get enough of the stuff these days! I think part of it is that I actually worked up the nerve to try some fresh coconut. Once I did that, the real love affair began and now I even like dried coconut.
If you read this blog with any regularity at all, you know that I’m a die-hard chocolate fanatic as well. I would put chocolate on my pizza if I could get away with it. (Hmmm…. new dessert recipe??!!!) So it was only logical that I pair my old love affair with my new tryst to see what I could come up with.
The result? A bowl of oatmeal that even Mini Chef couldn’t get enough of!
WHERE DOES GERMAN CHOCOLATE COME FROM?
The original German Chocolate Cake was actually invented by a man who’s last name was “German”. Samual German, to be exact, and he wasn’t German at all. He was English! So this particular flavor combination is owed entirely to an Englishman. Thanks Mr. German!
HEALTHY OATMEAL RECIPES:
- Peanut Butter Oatmeal
- Carrot Cake Oatmeal
- Apple Pie Oatmeal
- Banana Bread Oatmeal
- Lemon Blueberry Oatmeal
- Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal
GERMAN CHOCOLATE OATMEAL RECIPE:
- 1 cup dry traditional oats (cooked to package directions)
- 1 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder (or more, if you like a more intense flavor)
- 2 tbsp. unsweetened dry coconut flakes
- 4 large egg whites (optional, but good protein - You don't taste them)
- 2 tbsp. honey (or to taste at serving)
- Cook your oats according to package directions.
- Just as the oats are done cooking, stir in the cocoa powder and coconut.
- Quickly stir in your egg whites, and continue to stir vigorously until they are cooked (you'll see them turn white).
- Divide into bowls and top with honey or even maple syrup if you prefer.