As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This delicious lemon blueberry oatmeal makes for a high-fiber start to your day!
I love a good bowl of morning oatmeal. Few things start the day off better for me. There’s something about holding that warm bowl between my hands and breathing in the nutty, earthy yet sweet aroma of a breakfast that is just waiting to nourish my body from head to toe.
I love this combination of lemon and blueberries too. For me, it’s a classic flavor combination. I’m not sure why, but the two just naturally go together.
And don’t get freaked out by the egg whites either. All they do is add some protein to the mix. You can’t taste them, and if you mix them in fast enough, you won’t see them either. You don’t HAVE to add them, but it’s an easy way to add some protein to a higher-carb breakfast. It just gives you some balance.
Can I Turn This Into Lemon Blueberry Baked Oats?
If you’d rather make it into a baked oatmeal recipe, I recommend using traditional oats instead of steel cut. The steel-cut oats won’t bake up as well in this particular recipe. I would also use enough liquid for the amount of oats you use according to the package instead of this recipe. But other than that, you can follow this recipe. Bake it in the oven at 350 F. for between 40-60 minutes, depending on the oats you use.
Is This Gluten-Free?
It can be! Simply use oats that are labeled as gluten-free, and you should be good to go. The remaining ingredients are naturally gluten-free.
Recipe Additions & Variations
You can add any of the following ingredients to add more nutrition to this dish.
- Poppy seeds
- Chia seeds
- Greek yogurt – Add a dollop at serving.
- Unsweetened almond milk – in place of water.
- Maple syrup – Use this to make this dish vegan.
- Salt – Just a pinch to bring out the sweetness of any sweet ingredients you use. Add while cooking the oatmeal.
- Protein powder – Unflavored is best here. You can use that in place of the egg whites.
- Vanilla extract – Use the real stuff.
- Coconut oil – If you need healthy fats.
About The Ingredients
Steel cut oats – dry.
Water – You can also use unsweetened almond milk or oat milk. Dairy milk works too.
Egg whites – These are optional for added protein. You can use flavorless protein powder instead if you wish.
Fresh lemon zest – about 1 lemon.
Fresh lemon juice – about 1 lemon
Fresh blueberries – As many as you like.
Honey – Add to taste
How To Make Lemon Blueberry Oatmeal
Bring water to a boil in a medium-sized pot.
Add oats and lemon zest, lemon juice and cover. Bring back to boil and reduce heat to simmer.
When water is nearly cooked out, vigorously stir in the egg whites. Continue stirring until the egg whites are cooked. You’ll see them turn white.
When oats are cooked, transfer the oat mixture to a bowl and serve topped with fresh blueberries and maple syrup or honey.
How To Store Lemon Blueberry Oatmeal
Pack this in an airtight container and store in the fridge for about 4 days.
Freezing Lemon Blueberry Oatmeal
You can freeze this, but it’s best to do so without the fresh blueberries. It’s also wise to freeze this in pre-portioned sizes so you only have to thaw what you want to eat. Pack this in a freezer-safe, airtight container and store it in the freezer for up to 6 months.
More Healthy Oatmeal Recipes
Lemon Blueberry Oatmeal Recipe Card
Lemon Blueberry Oatmeal
- 1 cup steel cut oats (dry)
- 4 cups water
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon zest (about 1 lemon)
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- honey to taste
- Bring water to a boil in a medium-sized pot.
- Add oats and lemon zest, lemon juice, and cover. Bring back to boil and reduce heat to simmer.
- When water is nearly cooked out, vigorously stir in the egg whites. Continue stirring until the egg whites are cooked. You’ll see them turn white.
- When oats are cooked, transfer the oat mixture to a bowl and serve topped with fresh blueberries and maple syrup or honey.
Recipe from the Gracious Pantry® archives, originally posted on 7/2/11.