This delicious apple slaw will liven up any dish you add it to. Think holiday meals, burgers or sliders, and more!
Busy weeknights call for easy dinners. And the best way to get that done is to rely on healthy convenience foods. This classic coleslaw is made with coleslaw mix that is a simple blend of red and green cabbage as well as carrots. However, if you cannot find that, I give you an alternative below.
The creamy textures of easy recipes like this homemade coleslaw make this easy to eat! It’s great as a side dish, a summer meal, on pork sandwiches, great with hot dogs, burgers, or just as a stand-alone salad.
Apple Slaw Texture
You’ll want to make sure, especially if you grate everything yourself, that you are cutting or grating thin strips of everything. It’s important for the final texture of the dish. If you are using a coleslaw mix, grate your apples to either the same size or smaller. You don’t want huge chunks of anything in your finished apple slaw recipe.
Can I Add Dried Fruit?
Absolutely! Dried fruit would be great in this! (As would some walnuts!) Fruits to try would be:
- Dried cranberries (look for fruit juice sweetened)
- Dried apricots, chopped
- Dried, chopped papaya
Tips For The Best Apple Coleslaw
- Use your favorite mayo. Using one you don’t like or are not used to will not do you any favors here.
- Taste as you go. Coleslaw can be adjusted to taste, so make sure to taste as often as needed to get just the right balance of flavors.
What Kind Of Apples Make The Best Apple Slaw?
With a recipe like this, you can opt for either sweetness or tartness. I recommend tart apples, but have also made this with sweet apples and both versions were very tasty.
The best apple for apple slaw is green apples (granny smith apples). But other good options are:
- Pink lady
- Red apple
Creamy Dressing Options
While I made this with mayonnaise, you can also make it with sour cream or Greek yogurt. You may want to adjust the seasoning if you go that route, but any of those will work.
Those who ate one or more apples a day had a 28% lower risk of type 2 diabetes compared with those who ate none.Harvard.edu
Delicious Apple Coleslaw Recipe Ingredients
12 oz. package coleslaw mix – If you can’t find a mix, you can easily make it at home. Simply combine 2 cups grated green cabbage, 2 cups grated red cabbage, and 1 cup grated carrots.
2 cups grated tart apples – Granny Smiths are best, but you can pretty much use any apple you prefer in this recipe and it will turn out delicious.
1 tbsp. lemon juice – No lemon juice? Try lime juice or apple cider vinegar instead!
1 tsp. dijon mustard – I used German mustard. But that can be harder to find. Dijon is the next best thing.
⅓ cup chopped red onion – Chop these fine so you don’t get any big mouthfuls of onion.
½ tsp. salt – I used pink Himalayan salt, but you can use whatever type of salt you normally season your food with.
½ tsp. ground black pepper – White pepper works too.
½ cup mayonnaise – You can make your own, or buy the best quality mayonnaise you can find. Try to avoid added sugar in mayo. You can use sour cream or Greek yogurt, but mayo really does taste the best here.
½ cup sliced green onions – Optional for garnish. Slice into thin slices.
How to Make Coleslaw From Scratch
In a large bowl, combine cabbage mix (coleslaw mix) and all the other ingredients, including your grated, crisp apples. You can use either a hand-held cheese grater or a food processor with a grater attachment to grate your apples.
Toss to combine apples and coleslaw mix with the mayo and other ingredients.
Serve chilled or at room temperature.
What to Serve with Apple Slaw
This coleslaw is great with:
- Pulled pork sandwiches
- Burgers (turkey, beef or vegetarian)
- Pork chops
- Grilled salmon
- Grilled chicken
- Carolina Gold BBQ Chicken Sandwiches
- By itself as a salad
- Chicken sliders
How To Store Apple Slaw
Store this in an airtight container for up to 2 days. This doesn’t last long, so eat up!
Can You Freeze Coleslaw?
Freezing coleslaw is not recommended.
Need Recipe Supplies?
More Healthy Coleslaw Recipes
Remember to subscribe to my free newsletter to receive all my latest recipes in your inbox. Click here to sign up!
Apple Slaw Recipe
Apple Slaw Recipe
CLICK TO WATCH THIS RECIPE IN ACTION!
- Mixing Bowl
- Grater or food processor with grater attachments
- 12 oz. package coleslaw mix (or see alternatives above)
- 2 cups grated tart apples
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice (or see alternatives above)
- 1 tsp. dijon mustard (or German mustard)
- ⅓ cup chopped red onion
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- ½ cup mayonnaise (or see alternatives above)
- In a large bowl, combine cabbage mix (coleslaw mix) and all the other ingredients, including your grated, crisp apples. You can use either a hand-held cheese grater or a food processor with a grater attachment to grate your apples.
- Toss to combine apples and coleslaw mix with the mayo and other ingredients.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature.