This healthy green bean casserole is the perfect healthy alternative to the traditional version of this recipe.
Green bean casserole is a Thanksgiving tradition in many American homes. I don’t think I’ve been to a Thanksgiving dinner yet where this casserole was not part of the meal. The problem is, it’s always made with condensed, canned “cream of chemical” soup. And we won’t even talk about the french fried onions that are usually dumped by the boatload on top of what could be a very nutritious and still delicious side dish. Not wanting to leave this recipe unturned, I set to work and created this delicious clean eating green bean casserole recipe!
It’s a wonderful substitute that won’t leave you running for the gym right after dinner and nobody at my holiday table knew the difference. All they mentioned was how good it was. Now that’s my kind of Thanksgiving side dish!
HOW TO USE UP LEFTOVER GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE:
There are a few tasty ways you can use up these leftovers.
- Make pasta – Cook noodles separately to package directions. Put the green beans in a skillet with a little olive oil or grapeseed oil. Toss in some chopped onions, a few extra mushrooms if needed and some parmesan cheese. You can even mix in a little sour cream if you want something a bit creamier.
- Make a green bean grilled cheese sandwich – Simply make a grilled cheese as you normally would, but add some of this casserole to the middle. Best done with cheddar.
- Make “Auflauf” – A German idea which is basically, “leftover casserole”. Yep, make casserole from your casserole! Simply mix this with some rice and any other cooked, leftover ingredients you’d like to mix in. Transfer to an oiled casserole dish. Beat a couple eggs in a bowl and pour the egg over the top of the casserole. Top with parmesan cheese and bake at 375 F. for about 40 minutes, or until the egg is fully cooked through.
- Make soup – Give this soup from Jeanette’s Healthy Living a try. Simply use the green bean casserole where her recipe calls for green beans. Easy!
MORE HEALTHY RECIPES:
CLEAN EATING GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE RECIPE:
Healthy Green Bean Casserole
CRUMB TOPPING INGREDIENTS:
- 2 slices whole grain bread
- 1/4 cup roasted almonds (no sugar added)
- 1 tbsp. onion powder
- 1 lb. frozen green beans
- 1 1/2 cups clean eating cream of mushroom soup - warmed and thickened with 2 tbsp. whole wheat flour (see link above)
- 1 tsp. cornstarch (or arrowroot powder)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place all topping ingredients in a food processor and blend until you have a nice "crumby" texture. Set aside.
- Prep the soup by simply warming it over high heat and whisking in the flour and starch.
- Place the frozen green beans in a casserole and pour the soup on top.
- Top with as much topping as you like (you don’t have to use it all, but you can).
- Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until the topping has a nice crunch to it.
- Cool and serve.