Cabbage leaf tacos are a wonderful lower carb option for taco Tuesday!
Everyone loves a good taco. But not everyone loves the carbs that come with them. As I learn more and more about controlling my blood sugar, I’m beginning to find ways that I can still enjoy the foods I love with a few alterations. These days I’m concentrating on a low glycemic eating plan and so far, it’s been working like a dream!
So when taco Tuesday came around, I just had to have some. I’m currently in a nutrition class where cabbage leaves were mentioned as being a good, low-glycemic option for taco shells. I didn’t believe them at first. In fact, my first thought was, “yuck!”.
But I gave it a shot anyway, and now I wouldn’t go back to corn shells even if I didn’t have blood sugar issues. I love them so much! It has a great crunch that you really want from your taco shell and believe it or not, the mild cabbage flavor compliments a good taco instead of interfering with it. Cabbage leaf taco shells are amazing!
Try them once and you’ll see. And if you don’t like them, you can always go back to corn. But seriously, these are delicious! Here’s how I made them.
WHAT TYPE OF CABBAGE TO USE:
You’ll want to find a small to medium, round head of regular green cabbage. You’ll want to take note of the size of the leaves. Whatever size you want your tacos to be is the size of the leaves you want to find. Keep in mind that the leaves will get smaller as you remove more and more of them, so if you need two heads to get the right size leaves, don’t be shy. Cabbage is good for you and anything leftover can be used in other dishes like my Egg Roll In A Bowl recipe.
Remember to subscribe to my free, Gracious Pantry Newsletter to receive all my latest recipes in your inbox! Click here to sign up!
MORE HEALTHY TACO RECIPES:
CABBAGE LEAF TACOS RECIPE:
Cabbage Leaf Tacos
- 2 lb. ground turkey
- 2 tbsp. oil
- 2 tbsp. garlic powder
- 2 tbsp. onion powder
- 2 tbsp. chili powder
- 2 tbsp. ground cumin
- 8 medium cabbage leaves
- 8 tbsp. guacamole (see link above for homemade)
- 2 medium tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 medium red onion (chopped)
- In a pan, warm your oil and add the meat. Begin to scramble it.
- Once it's mostly browned, add your spices and continue stirring and scrambling the meat to ensure it doesn't cook in any large clumps.
- When cooked, remove from heat and set aside.
- Chop the tomatoes and onion and make your guacamole.
- Carefully peel cabbage leaves off of the head and set them on plates.
- Add scoops of meat to each leaf, and then top with the rest of the toppings and anything else you'd like to add. Grated cheddar cheese would be a good option here.
- Serve with a side of beans and rice if you want to round out the meal.