As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This skillet taco salad is a wonderful Taco Tuesday meal!
So by now, most of you know that Mexican food is my all-time favorite. I just cannot get enough of the stuff. And while I wouldn’t call my recipes “authentic” in the finest sense of the word, I will say that using fresh ingredients will get you about as close to authentic as you can get without going to Mexico. And fresh ingredients is what this blog is all about!
One of the things I love about this salad is that it’s basically a “one-pot” meal. Or maybe, “one-pan” would be a better term here. Either way, you won’t have a ton of dishes to wash, and I don’t know anybody who would argue with that!
Taco salad is wonderful stuff and all the toppings are adjustable to your needs and wants. In fact, if you are making this for a few people who all want different things, divide the cooked meat between a few smaller, single-serving skillets or bowls and let everyone top their own. It’s the easiest way to ensure that everyone is happy with dinner! You can work a taco salad to fit nearly any eating style. Simply add and subtract ingredients as needed to suit your tastes and dietary needs. And if you try this, I’d love to hear what you did to make this recipe just right for you. Leave me a comment below!
P.S. – Check out the end of the recipe directions to see different ways you can accommodate different eating styles with this recipe. It’s easy, I promise! And no matter how you make it, it will be super tasty. You’ll see!
MORE HEALTHY MEXICAN RECIPES:
SKILLET TACO SALAD RECIPE:
Skillet Taco Salad
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 tbsp. oil
- 1 cup chopped, yellow onion
- 1 ½ cups chopped, red bell pepper
- 6 medium garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 2 tbsp. minced jalapeño pepper (optional)
- OPTIONAL HOT TOPPINGS (add before putting in oven)
- refried beans
- shredded cheese (if you want it melted)
- OPTIONAL FRESH/COLD TOPPINGS (add after cooking in the oven)
- tomatoes (chopped)
- lettuce (chopped)
- spinach (chopped)
- shredded cheese (if you prefer it not melted)
- guacamole (see link above
- greek yogurt
- olives (sliced)
- fresh cilantro (chopped)
- In a large skillet, brown the turkey meat in the oil.
- Add the onion, peppers, garlic and spices and cook until the meat is cooked through.
- Top with optional ingredients, leaving the cheese to be the very top layer and place the entire skillet in the oven at 350 F for about 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is fully melted.
- Top with fresh optional ingredients, and serve.
- Diary free? I didn’t use cheese on mine and it still turned out great. So if you’re dairy free, just skip the cheese and use the fresh toppings.
- Paleo? Skip the beans and cheese.
- Low Carb? Skip the beans and yogurt.
This recipe from the Gracious Pantry archives, originally posted 6/10/14.