Brussels Sprouts Salad Recipe
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This healthy Brussels sprouts salad recipe is a perfect example of how these versatile vegetables can be transformed into a delicious and nutritious meal.
Brussels sprouts have come a long way from the mushy, overcooked vegetables that many of us grew up disliking. When prepared properly, they are crisp, crunchy, and packed with flavor, making them an excellent addition to a variety of dishes.
Brussels sprouts are a nutritious vegetable that continue to grow in popularity, due in part to their high nutrient content and versatility in the kitchen. These small, cabbage-like veggies can be roasted, sautéed, or boiled to create a variety of tasty dishes.
Can You Eat Raw Brussel Sprouts In A Salad?
You bet! In fact, you can eat raw brussels sprouts in any number of dishes. the flavor is much milder (more like lettuce) when it’s raw. So if you struggle with the flavor of brussels sprouts, try them raw instead of cooked!
What Is The Healthiest Way To Eat Brussels Sprouts?
A Brussels sprout salad can be a great way to incorporate more greens into your diet, as well as get a healthy dose of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. One of the key benefits of Brussels sprouts is their high vitamin C content. Just one cup of cooked Brussels sprouts contains more than 100% of your daily recommended intake of vitamin C, which is essential for a healthy immune system and skin health. Brussels sprouts are also a good source of vitamin K, folate, and potassium.
In addition to their nutrient content, Brussels sprouts are low in calories, making them a great option for anyone watching their weight. They are also high in fiber, which can help keep you feeling full and satisfied after a meal.
So, long story short, the healthiest way to eat Brussels sprouts is pretty much any way you are willing to eat them! Just steer clear of other processed ingredients and you’re good to go!
How To Shave Brussels Sprouts
- Rinse the Brussels sprouts under running water to remove any dirt or debris.
- Trim off the woody stem end of each Brussels sprout using a sharp knife.
- Cut each Brussels sprout in half from top to bottom.
- Using a sharp knife, slice each half of the Brussels sprout crosswise into very thin shreds. You can also use a mandoline or food processor with a slicing blade to do this quickly.
- Continue to slice the Brussels sprouts until you have enough for your recipe.
For this recipe, I used my food processor to chop or grate all the ingredients.
What Can You Mix With Brussel Sprouts?
When making a Brussels sprout salad, it is important to choose complementary ingredients that will enhance the flavor and nutrition of the dish. Nuts and seeds are a great option for adding crunch, flavor, and healthy fats. Avocado is another great choice, as it adds healthy monounsaturated fats, fiber, and a creamy texture to the salad.
You can customize the dish to suit your tastes by adding different ingredients, such as grilled chicken, tofu, or tempeh for protein. If you prefer a sweeter flavor, try adding dried cranberries or dried apricots to the salad.
How Do You Make Brussel Sprouts Taste Better?
If you are someone who struggles with the flavor of brussels sprouts, I’m here to tell you that a good dressing is the key to solving your problem. There are many different types of dressings to choose from, including lemon-based, vinaigrette, and tahini-based. When choosing a dressing, look for one that is made with healthy, whole food ingredients and is free of added sugars. A simple lemon and olive oil dressing is a great option for Brussels sprout salad, as it provides a bright, tangy flavor without overpowering the other ingredients. But don’t panic if that doesn’t sound good. I’ll give you a dressing recipe to go with this delicious salad as well as a few other options to try.
Try adding one or more of the following to jazz things up a bit:
- Pumpkin seeds
- Sunflower seeds
- Pomegranates (pomegranate seeds or arils)
- Dijon mustard
- Goat cheese
- Feta cheese
- Parmesan cheese
About The Ingredients
Brussels sprouts – Trimmed and shredded, shaved, or thinly sliced.
Granny Smith apple – Cored and diced small, or grated.
Good-quality, crispy bacon – Cooked to package directions, then chopped. If you don’t eat bacon, try some baked chicken breast or even salmon. Or if you’re plant-based, simply omit the bacon.
Pecans – Chopped fine.
Red onion – You can also use yellow onion, but red/purple is better.
Oil – I used coconut oil. But you can use any light-flavored oil you prefer.
Lemon juice OR balsamic vinegar – Your choice based on your personal preference.
Maple syrup – Use the real stuff, not pancake syrup.
Garlic granules – Or garlic powder
Salt and black pepper – to taste
How To Make Brussels Sprouts Salad
Cook the bacon separately as you would normally cook bacon. Then chop it and set it aside.
While the bacon cooks, chop, grate or shred all the ingredients as called for. I did this quickly in my food processor.
In a large bowl, combine the shredded Brussels sprouts, diced apple, chopped bacon, chopped pecans, and sliced red onion.
In a blender cup, combine all the dressing ingredients and blend until smooth.
Pour the dressing over the Brussels sprouts salad.
Toss well. Taste and season with salt and pepper to taste. Toss again. Serve the salad immediately or cover and chill in the refrigerator.
How To Store Leftovers
Store this in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
For this recipe, you’ll want a food processor, a blender, and a large mixing bowl. I have the blender in the middle and absolutely love it for making quick salad dressings! I highly recommend it. It’s great for smoothies too! Click any image to be taken to that product on Amazon. (Affiliate links)
More Salad Dressing Ideas
- Roasted Garlic Vinaigrette
- Buttermilk Ranch Dressing
- Strawberry Vinaigrette
- Homemade Italian Dressing
More Salad Recipes to Try
More Brussels Sprout Recipes
- Air Fryer Smashed Brussels Sprouts
- Maple Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Roasted Garlic Brussels Sprouts Salad
Remember to subscribe to my free newsletter to receive all my latest recipes in your inbox. Click here to sign up!
Brussels Sprouts Salad Recipe Card + Video
Brussels Sprout Salad Recipe
CLICK TO WATCH THIS RECIPE IN ACTION!
- 1 Food processor
- 1 Blender
- 1 lb. Brussels sprouts (trimmed and shredded or thinly sliced)
- 1 large Granny Smith apple (cored and diced small)
- ½ lb. good-quality bacon (cooked to package directions, then chopped)
- ½ cup pecans (chopped)
- ½ cup finely chopped red onion
- ¼ cup oil
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup
- 2 tsp. garlic granules (or garlic powder
- ½ tsp. salt (to taste)
- ½ tsp. ground pepper
- Cook the bacon separately as you would normally cook bacon. Then chop it and set it aside.
- While the bacon cooks, chop, grate or shred all the ingredients as called for. I did this quickly in my food processor.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the shredded Brussels sprouts, diced apple, chopped bacon, chopped pecans, and sliced red onion.
- In a blender cup, combine all the dressing ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Pour the dressing over the Brussels sprouts salad.
- Toss well. Taste and season with salt and pepper to taste. Toss again.
- Serve the salad immediately or cover and chill in the refrigerator.