This clean eating roasted garlic brussels sprouts salad recipe almost didn’t happen.
You know how you go grocery shopping, you load all these healthy foods into your cart and practically knock people down on your way to the register with your “I’m-so-proud-of-myself” swagger?
Then you get home, convinced that bringing the bags into the house qualifies as some weight training because…. healthy food is heavy, right?
Then you put everything away where it belongs and proceed with your day, totally forgetting what you bought? And hey, you’re tired after all that swagger-filled marching and grocery-bag weight lifting, so this would be the perfect time to order a pizza. Am I right?
Such was the case after a recent grocery shopping trip. And while I made the pizza instead of ordering it, I just didn’t want to deal with actually having to think about what to make for dinner. Pizza is always a no-brainer for me, so pizza night ensued.
In fact, I absolutely forgot about the brussels sprouts I had tucked neatly into the back of the vegetable drawer. That is, until we were out of groceries for the week and I started scrounging around at the back of all shelves and drawers.
I pulled out my brussels sprouts and checked them over. They didn’t look great, but I could tell it was only the top leaves that were looking sickly, so I cleaned them up, washed them off and proceeded to make this clean eating roasted garlic brussels sprouts salad recipe.
It was totally delicious, and as I usually do, I questioned why I hadn’t made this sooner. Then I remembered pizza night and how much exercise I had gotten at the store and I totally felt better about myself.
This is great paired with some pork chops or chicken and a side of brown rice or quinoa. I may even put some brussels sprouts on my next pizza if I’m feeling adventurous. We’ll see. For now, I’m going to go admire my nonexistent biceps in the mirror and write down my grocery shopping list for the new week…
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY THESE CLEAN EATING RECIPES:
CLEAN EATING ROASTED GARLIC BRUSSELS SPROUTS SALAD RECIPE:
Clean Eating Roasted Garlic Brussels Sprouts Salad Recipe
- 1 lb. brussels sprouts
- 1/4 cup oil
- 2 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tbsp. dried parsley
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 medium head garlic (the whole thing!)
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries (fruit juice sweetened)
- salt and pepper to taste after cooking
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Wash and quarter the brussels sprouts and put them in a zipper-top bag for tossing.
- Add the oil, onion powder, parsley and dried thyme.
- Close the bag tightly and shake to coat the brussels sprouts evenly.
- Pour them out onto the baking sheet.
- Cut the top off of the head of garlic so that the tops of all the cloves are exposed.
- Pour oil over the top and place the head of garlic on the baking pan with the brussels sprouts.
- Bake for about 40 minutes or until the sprouts are cooked to your liking.
- Chances are the garlic will have to bake a little longer than the sprouts. Simply pull the sheet out of the oven, transfer the sprouts to a large mixing bowl and return the garlic to the oven until it finishes roasting. It's done when the tops are golden brown and one or two of the cloves have popped out of their skins and are soft.
- Allow the garlic to cool enough to touch and handle.
- Squeeze all the garlic cloves out onto a cutting board.
- Chop into small pieces and transfer to the mixing bowl.
- Add the cranberries and stir well to combine.
- Serve as a side dish.