As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
These clean eating slow cooker carnitas are totally simple to make!
Yes, delicious, authentic tasting carnitas are absolutely doable at home, and they are super easy to make, and this clean eating slow cooker carnitas recipe proves just that.
I grew up with many Latina friends, and because of this, I grew up eating a lot of authentic Latin foods as well. Recipes from Guatemala, Mexico, El Salvador and even Ecuador and Cuba were very much a part of my childhood. My friend’s parents took me in like family and always encouraged me to eat (something I never argued with).
So the thought of trying to make Carnitas was a little intimidating for me. I mean, I’ve had the truly good stuff and it’s hard to compete with. Especially now that most of those friends and their parents are gone from my life, and their recipes along with them. What I wouldn’t give now to have collected those precious recipes back then!
But at the same time, a lack of recipes leaves me open to explore my own approach to this style of cooking. Can a white girl really make authentic Latin food from scratch? I guess one could create an argument either way for that. But I’d like to think that this recipe comes pretty darn close to the carnitas I tasted in my childhood. And seeing as how my mother hugged her bowl close to her and protectively said, “This is MINE. All MINE.” when I gave her some, I would venture a guess I did okay with this one.
This is perfect for tacos, rice bowls or even just by itself with some veggies on the side!
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY THESE CLEAN EATING RECIPES:
- Clean Eating Mexican Lasagna
- Clean Eating Mexican Stuffed Bell Peppers
- Clean Eating Black Bean Mexican Chicken
CLEAN EATING SLOW COOKER CARNITAS RECIPE:
Clean Eating Slow Cooker Carnitas Recipe
- 3 lb. pork shoulder
- ½ cup water
- 1 medium orange (juiced)
- 1 medium lime (juiced)
- 1 tsp. vinegar (red wine, white balsamic or regular balsamic work best, but any will do)
- 1 large yellow onion (chopped)
- 10 medium garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- Place the pork shoulder in your slow cooker.
- Pour the water, orange juice, lime juice and vinegar over it.
- In a large skillet, saute the onions and garlic in the oil, then pour them over and around the pork.
- Sprinkle the spices over and around the pork shoulder as well, and finally top with salt.
- Cook on low for 5-7 hours, or until the pork easily shreds with two forks.
- Allow the pork to cool enough to handle it. Transfer to a plate or bowl where you can easily shred it and remove the bone as well as any additional fat you prefer to remove.
- Use for tacos or even as a salad topper!
- Can be easily frozen in portions for up to 4 months for easy grab-n-go meals.
- From frozen, thaw in the fridge overnight.
Recipe from the Gracious Pantry archives, originally posted 4/12/16.