This wonderfully simple, clean eating Spanish rice recipe is the perfect side dish for Taco Tuesdays!
I have a serious love affair with Mexican food. It might even border on obsession, I’m not sure. But I will say this, we have some sort of Mexican style dish for dinner around here at least once or twice a week, and I would cook that way far more often if I thought I could get away with it.
Mini Chef and I both LOVE Mexican rice. Whenever we eat at a Mexican restaurant, all he wants is a bowl of rice.
Now grant it, we don’t eat out all that often, but it’s often enough that I really do hesitate to give in to his request for the white rice dish. Especially when I can make it at home with brown rice. He loves it just as much, and I feel great about giving him the clean version.
But I’m a common sense sort of girl and I know I can’t protect him from unhealthy food 100% of the time. That’s just life. So I do give in from time to time. The guilt after he’s eaten it is usually strong enough for me to run home and cook a batch with brown rice though. So I guess that’s a good thing?
The way I see it, it’s what you do the majority of the time that counts. I aim for 100% clean, 80-90% of the time. So far, it’s worked out great, and Mini Chef gets a special treat every now and again.
But for the majority of the time, I’m happy to be able to offer him this version. With only 3 ingredients, it’s simple, clean, and just downright delicious.
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY THESE CLEAN EATING RECIPES:
CLEAN EATING SPANISH RICE RECIPE
Clean Eating Spanish Rice
- 2 cups short-grain brown rice (uncooked)
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth (low sodium and no added sugar if purchased)
- 1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce (no sugar added)
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. onion powder
- In a medium pot, bring the chicken broth to a boil.
- Stir in tomato sauce and bring to a boil once more.
- Stir in rice, reduce heat and simmer until liquid has been soaked up. (About 40-50 minutes)
- NOTE: This is a very basic and simple recipe. If you don't feel the flavor is what you expect from this type of rice, feel free to mix in any spices you prefer.