As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This Cherry Tomato Soup was Mini Chef’s creation, and now I know that boy is a future foodie.
Min Chef and I were discussing dinner recently on our way to school. I asked him what he wanted that night and expected to get the typical response, “I don’t know.”
To my surprise, he thought hard about it, and then informed me that he wanted “tomato soup with broccoli and little carrots all cut up“.
Now call me crazy, but this was a really exciting moment for me. He actually took the time to create a recipe in his own little head and was very specific about the “little carrots” being “all cut up“.
Maybe it’s just the food blogger in me, but I was absolutely thrilled. Not only did he request vegetables, but he actually thought through the ingredients! Not bad for a 6 year old who typically answers with an “I don’t know” response.
So I set to work, and found myself actually getting just a little stressed out over the whole thing. I mean, he had thought it through so carefully. That puts a lot of pressure on a mama to get it right. I wanted him to love it so he’d be encouraged to come up with more ideas. Not hate it and go back to, “I don’t know.” So I really put some time into thinking about this one before I ever stepped in the kitchen. So much so that he didn’t actually get his bowl of soup until the following evening.
I brought him home and warmed up the soup. A little nervous about his first taste, I served him his bowl and sat back with much anticipation. His response was, “Mmmm!!! You can make this EVERY day!!!“.
Whew! Mission accomplished. I wonder what he’ll dream up next…
MORE HEALTHY SOUP RECIPES:
CHERRY TOMATO SOUP RECIPE:
Cherry Tomato Soup
- 1 cup chopped red onions
- 3 large garlic cloves (minced
- 1 tbsp. oil
- 4 cups chicken broth (low sodium)
- 1 lb. cherry tomatoes (I used red and yellow)
- 2 cups chopped broccoli
- 2 cups sliced baby carrots
- 1 tsp. dried parsley (or 1 tbsp. fresh)
- 1 tsp. dried basil (or 1 tbsp. fresh)
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tsp. dried ground rosemary
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium soup pot over medium heat, sauté the onions and garlic in oil until the onions become translucent. Stir regularly.
- Pour in the chicken broth and add the tomatoes. Bring to a boil and cook for approximately 5-10 minutes, or until the tomatoes look cooked.
- Now you want to blend this. You can either use an immersion blender (metal, not plastic), or you can wait for this to cool down a bit and use a blender. I used my Vitamix to get a very smooth blend. Return the soup to the pot if using a blender.
- Bring the soup to a boil and add all other remaining ingredients except the salt and pepper. Add this after cooking to taste.
- Remember to remove the bay leaf before eating.
I'm Tiffany, a cookbook author, food lover, mom, and writer for MSN and the AP Newswire.
Looking to stock your freezer for busy weeknights?
I wrote the book! Grab a copy of my book, Clean Eating Freezer Meals on Amazon here, or at select bookstores nationwide!