As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This vegetable quinoa recipe makes a wonderful side dish or even a main course.
Quinoa is incredible stuff. It’s so amazingly versatile, you can do just about anything with it.
As many of you know, I’m moving towards grain-free living. But the wonderful thing about quinoa is that it’s not actually a grain. It’s a seed! So I have no issues with including it in my eating plan at the moment.
I’m basically doing the same thing I did when I made the switch to clean eating. Letting things run out and replacing what I can with grain free options. It’s been an interesting change. My kitchen won’t become completely grain free because I won’t change Mini Chef’s diet while I’m trying something new out (again). But all I’ll be left with are a few whole grain products. Items like whole grain pasta and brown rice. At that point, we’ll be able to comfortably coexist in the food department. I’m actually looking forward to making the change completely. I think when you make a big change like that, it changes the way you live a little bit. I think that’s the hardest part. All those “routines” you get into that have to change. It’s not the food, it’s the way of doing things that I’m used to. That’s truly the hardest part of all of this. But I know it’s best for me at this point, so I’ll keep at it!
I know that quinoa is certainly not low in carbs. But my issue seems to be with grains themselves. At least as far as I can tell for now. So I’ll chalk it up to being a grand experiment and see how it goes. And because of that, you get a nice, healthy, vegetable quinoa recipe! Awesome, right!?
VEGETABLE QUINOA RECIPE
- Mixing Bowl
- 2 cups dry quinoa
- 4 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth - no sugar added)
- ½ lb. baby carrots (sliced - regular carrots are fine too)
- 1 ½ cups yellow bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 ½ cups red onion (chopped)
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. dried marjoram
- 1 tsp. dried parsley
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- Put the quinoa and chicken broth in a medium-sized pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for approximately 15 minutes, or until the broth is completely soaked up by the quinoa.
- While the quinoa cooks, sauté the remaining ingredients over medium heat in olive oil until the carrots are cooked to your liking and the onions are translucent.
- Allow both the vegetable mix and the quinoa to cool a bit before combining.
- Stir everything together, add salt and pepper to taste and serve.