Curried sweet potato soup is the quintessential autumn soup!
Fall is here, and I have to tell you, I’m very excited about it!
Fall is my absolute favorite time of year. All those pumpkins, turning leaves, apple harvests, burning fire places scenting the air outdoors and all those warm, comfy sweaters put me right in my element. There’s no better time of year to be in the kitchen, creating some warm and wonderful comfort food!
This soup may very well be one of my new favorite comfort foods too! It’s thick, a tad creamy, bursting with curry spice, and oh so warm and cozy in the tummy. I served this with some Clean Eating English Muffins, and for the 15 minutes it took me to eat a bowl of this deliciousness, I was in shear, elemental heaven.
BENEFITS OF CURRY
While I’m definitely not a nutritionist, (so please don’t take this as medical advice. It’s not.) I have read over the years about the health benefits of curry. Curry has been said to help with:
- Poor digestion
- Bone growth
I’m sure much of this is due to the turmeric content, but the other spices in curry can be just as beneficial. So do your own research on this, but that list sounds good enough for me to happily enjoy curry in as many dishes as I can put it in. I love curry!
HEALTH SOUP RECIPES:
CURRIED SWEET POTATO SOUP RECIPE:
- 3 lbs. sweet potatoes (peeled and cut into chunks)
- 4 cups chicken broth (low sodium is best - no sugar added)
- 15 oz. can light coconut milk
- 1 small apple (peeled and cut into chunks)
- 1 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tbsp. curry powder
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper (optional)
- Place all ingredients into a large soup pot and bring to a medium boil.
- Cook at a medium boil until the apples and sweet potatoes are soft.
- Using a hand blender, blend the soup until smooth directly in the soup pot you just cooked it in. If you don't have a hand blender, you'll have to transfer the contents to a regular blender a little at a time. Be careful, it's hot!