As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Here’s how to make a tart green apple smoothie with green apples and yogurt. This green apple smoothie recipe is healthy, delicious, and simple to make.
This deliciously tart and creamy smoothie will definitely wake your mouth up in the morning! But don’t worry, you can easily adjust the level of tartness.
Smoothies are a wonderful option for breakfast in the mornings. Made with the right ingredients, they are a very nutritious start to your day!
Is It Bad To Have A Smoothie Everyday?
That all depends on what you make them with. If you purchase a smoothie somewhere, make sure you question the ingredients. And if you make them at home, simply ensure you use healthy ingredients for healthy smoothies. If you do, a daily smoothie can be a very nutritious addition to your eating plan!
What Are Green Smoothies?
Green smoothies are smoothies that have raw spinach leaves blended into them. The spinach turns them green in color but adds no noticeable flavor. So yes, you can add spinach to smoothies for extra good-for-you nutrients without changing the flavor of your smoothie!
Does Blending Ingredients Destroy The Nutrients?
No, it does not. But it does make things far easier to digest. This is why some people don’t stay full until lunchtime after having a smoothie for breakfast. Luckily, there is a simple fix for that! Read on…
What To Do If Your Breakfast Smoothie Leaves You Hungry Before Lunch
There is a very simple solution to this. That being said, not everybody can do this because you will need a high-powered blender such as a Vitamix or Ninja blender (see the ones I recommend below). If you have one, then you’re in luck! All you have to do is blend in a quarter cup of raw oats! The uncooked oats will expand in your tummy, keeping you full until lunch! And yes, it’s safe to eat raw oats. Though, if you are gluten-free, be sure to purchase gluten-free oats. They are highly cross-contaminated even though they are naturally gluten-free.
Can You Use Milk In A Green Smoothie?
While this recipe does not call for it, you absolutely can add milk (dairy or non-dairy) to your smoothie. The best time to do this is if your blender is struggling a bit with what you are trying to blend. Using milk instead of water will make your smoothie creamier.
Do You Peel Apples For Smoothies?
This will depend on your goals and on your blender.
- Goals – If you want the extra fiber and nutrients, by all means, keep the peel on! If you prefer a smoother texture over the extra fiber, then peel them.
- Blender – If you have a high-powered blender, you can feel free to leave the peels on. If you don’t, you might want to consider peeling your apples first to get a better texture in your smoothie.
What Is The Best Blender To Use?
While just about any blender will make a smoothie, not all blenders are created equal. Older, lower-powered blenders will get the job done, but they may not get your smoothie as smooth as you would like. You’ll end up with a more textured smoothie. This isn’t necessarily bad, it just might not give you the texture you were hoping for. So if you’re in the market for a new blender, here are the two that I have used myself and highly recommend.
Upper End Blender
Make It Dairy Free! Make It Vegan!
This is easily made vegan and/or dairy-free. All you have to do is substitute a dairy-free or vegan yogurt for regular yogurt. I’ve used Kite Hill almond milk yogurt (not paid to promote them), and it’s very good in this recipe. You’ll also want to switch out the honey for something like maple syrup.
- Spinach – You can make this a true green smoothie by adding raw spinach leaves. Baby spinach works best!
- Protein powder – You can add a scoop of protein powder for extra protein.
- Bananas – You can blend in some frozen banana to make this very creamy and more like a milkshake.
- Healthy Fats – Add chia seed or flaxseed for omeg 3 fatty acids
- Pineapple – Add pineapple for a lot more sweetness – This will add a lot of natural sweetness, so you may not need to add the honey if you use pineapple.
- Ginger – Add a little fresh ginger for a spicy kick.
Green Apple Smoothie Ingredients
1 granny smith apple – See notes above on peeling.
1 cup plain yogurt – Use vegan yogurt or regular. Greek yogurt works great too.
1 tbsp. lemon juice – Fresh or bottled.
2 tbsp. honey – Or sweetener of choice.
How To Make A Sour Apple Smoothie
Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Adjust flavoring as needed. (See notes)
How To Adjust The Tartness In A Smoothie
Need to adjust the tartness of this smoothie? Here’s how to do it.
- More tartness – Add more lemon juice, and make sure your apples are truly tart. Even green apples can sometimes be more sweet than tart.
- Less tartness – Use milk or extra yogurt to calm the tartness a bit. You can also blend in a sweeter apple to help balance things. If the tartness is a big concern, feel free to leave the lemon juice out completely or add a smaller amount. Start small and add more to taste!
More Healthy Smoothie Recipes
Remember to subscribe to my free newsletter to receive all my latest recipes in your inbox. Click here to sign up!
Print This Tart Apple Smoothie Recipe Below
Green Apple Smoothie
CLICK TO WATCH THIS RECIPE IN ACTION!
- 1 Blender (high-powered is best, but any blender will do)
- 1 medium green apple
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. honey (or any sweetener you prefer)
- Slice and core a green apple.
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Adjust flavoring as needed.
- Pour into your favorite glass and serve garnished with an apple slice.