As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This easy strawberry spinach salad recipe is super quick to put together and brings you back to the basics of clean eating.
This very healthy strawberry spinach salad is more than just a delicious combination of fruit and vegetables. It is also rich in phytochemicals that seem to offer important anti-cancer and anti-inflammatory effects.
One of the things I truly love about clean eating is the simplicity of the ingredients I get to use. I appreciate the beauty in a spinach leaf, the vivacity of a red strawberry, and the earthiness of a pecan. There is such beauty in pairing these types of ingredients together. Ingredients that not only nourish our tummies but our souls as well.
A simple salad is like a well-orchestrated symphony of flavors, textures, and nutrients. As the staccato increases with the sweetness of a berry on our tongue, the tempo then slows again with the more down-to-earth spinach or walnut. A dressing added is akin to sweet notes still hanging in the air after the orchestra is exhausted and fulfilled.
This is a great salad for special occasions such as Easter or Mother’s Day. But it’s equally as wonderful for a Wednesday night dinner at home.
What Dressing To Use For Strawberry Spinach Salad
While you can use any dressing that tastes good to you, there are some that taste better than others. I tend to lean toward vinaigrette-type dressings as opposed to creamy dressings. But again, it’s a personal choice.
My absolute favorite dressing with this salad is Strawberry Vinaigrette Dressing. In my opinion, it doesn’t get much better. But You can also use a garlic vinaigrette, mustard vinaigrette, or even an Italian dressing.
If you like to make your own dressings without a recipe, some great oils are olive oil or avocado oil
For vinegars, balsamic vinegar (white or red) or apple cider vinegar are great choices.
A tasty extra to add to your dressing is dijon mustard.
Make your dressing separately. You can blend it in a blender, or simply combine everything in a jar and shake it well.
Can I Make Spinach Strawberry Salad Ahead Of Time?
You can. Although, I wouldn’t make it too far in advance without leaving off the avocado and strawberries. Those really should be added at the last minute to make sure they stay fresh.
What To Serve With Strawberry Spinach Salad
If this salad will be the main course, then easy sides like crusty garlic bread or a bowl of soup make a wonderful addition to round out your meal.
There are so many different ways you can make a spinach salad. Here are some ideas to help keep things interesting!
- Switch out the meat for shredded, grilled chicken or salmon, or leave it off completely for a plant-based meal.
- Add a little sweetness to the salad by adding a drizzle of maple syrup.
- Try different berries such as raspberries or fresh blueberries. Even blackberries will work well here. Or you can get adventurous and add different fruits altogether such as mandarin oranges or nectarines.
- Add more veggies! Chopped red bell peppers are always a nice addition here, as are cucumbers.
- Add some cheese. Feta cheese is a wonderful addition, as are different types of goat cheese. Blue cheese or gorgonzola are more great options here.
- Add some cooked grains such as quinoa, farro, or brown rice.
- Try different nuts. Instead of pecans or walnuts, try almonds or brazil nuts.
- Add a little more “zing” by drizzling on some apple cider vinegar, or even by using a balsamic vinaigrette. Add a splash of lemon juice or orange juice for a nice accent.
- Add a sprinkle of salt and pepper. These two flavor enhancers work wonders on salads like these!
- Add some seeds such as poppyseeds or sunflower seeds. Even pumpkin seeds would be tasty!
What Goes In Strawberry Spinach Salad?
Raw baby spinach leaves – You can use regular spinach too. Just chop it up to a size you like.
Strawberries – Wash, de-stem, and slice these before adding them to your salad.
Pecans – You can also use walnuts. Keep the pieces on the smaller side for a more enjoyable salad.
Avocado – While this is optional, it’s delicious!
Red onions – You can slice or chop these. Whichever you prefer.
Bacon – cooked to your liking and chopped. Use good quality bacon without added sugar. I used turkey bacon from Applegate (Not paid to promote them).
Dressing – Whichever you prefer. See notes above for ideas.
How To Make Strawberry Spinach Salad
Prep all your ingredients so that everything is washed, chopped and cooked where necessary. Put everything into a bowl and toss with dressing.
How To Store Strawberry Spinach Salad
This salad will keep pretty well if packed in an airtight container and stored in the fridge. But I would store the strawberries and avocado separately from the rest of the salad if possible. This will keep in the fridge, at most, for 2 to 3 days.
For this recipe, you’ll need a good knife and cutting board, as well as a large mixing bowl to easily toss your salad with dressing.
More Healthy Salad Recipes
- Avocado Cashew Salad
- Mandarin Orange Chicken Salad With Dried Cranberries
- Spinach Salad With Pesto Dressing
Strawberry Spinach Salad Recipe
Strawberry Spinach Salad
- 2 cups spinach (I used baby spinach)
- 1 cup strawberries (sliced)
- ¼ cup pecans (chopped)
- ¼ medium avocado (optional)
- ¼ cup sliced red onions
- 3 slices bacon (cooked to your liking and chopped)
- Dressing (see link above)
- Put all ingredients in a bowl and toss with dressing.
Recipe from the Gracious Pantry® archives, originally posted 5/26/2013.