As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Over the years, one question that has come up again and again is, “how do I replace cream of….”. This recipe is one that I developed for my first cookbook (SkinnyMs. Slow Cooker) and I’ve used it ever since to substitute for the canned variety.
It’s versatile, so you can make substitutions pretty easily as needed. It’s not as thick as the canned stuff (nothing ever is… what DO they put in that stuff anyway?????!!), but you can thicken it further by stirring in extra flour or even some organic cornstarch or arrowroot powder. It has a lovely flavor and freezes well too. I like to portion this out for those “cream of…” recipes so that all I have to do is defrost a portion size of it for my recipe. Works well!
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY:
- Clean Eating Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Clean Eating Chicken And Parsnip Soup
- Clean Eating Leftover Rotisserie Chicken Soup
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth, no sugar added (homemade is best)
- 4 tbsp. whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk (homemade is best)
- 1 lb. raw, boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- AFTER COOKING, STIR IN:
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. onion powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Pour chicken broth into slow cooker; whisk in flour, being sure to whisk out any lumps.
- Add vinegar, almond milk and chicken.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours or until chicken easily falls apart.
- AFTER COOKING:
- Shred chicken with 2 forks.
- Using a whisk, beat in Greek yogurt, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with fresh parsley.