Wondering how to make almond milk? This homemade version is better than anything you can buy at the store!
The truth is, there just isn’t a clean eating almond milk on the market. At least not that I’ve found so far. But that doesn’t mean you have to give it up!
Even the healthier versions have odd ingredients for something that is just supposed to come from a nut.
Long before I owned a Vitamix blender I was perusing Vitamix recipes on YouTube and wishing I had one. I ran across a video on how to make your own almond milk using a Vitamix or other high powered blender. It looked so simple and easy that I had to give it a try. And now that I have a Vitamix, it’s even easier still.
You can still make this with a regular blender or even food processor. But you won’t get as much out of it and the fiber you are left with will be much bigger. Also, don’t throw out the remaining fiber. It’s almond meal! You can use it for baking or anything else you use almond meal or flour for.
This process is so simple and only takes about 1 minute after soaking. And frankly, the homemade stuff is a thousand times more delicious than the store bought stuff!
HEALTHY COFFEE CREAMER RECIPES:
HOW TO MAKE ALMOND MILK:
How To Make Almond Milk
CLICK TO WATCH THIS RECIPE IN ACTION!
- ½ cup raw almonds
- 2 cups water + extra for soaking
- ½ tsp. pure vanilla extract (optional)
- clean sweetener to taste such as dates, honey or pure liquid stevia
- Soak the almonds overnight. I started in the evening, and then changed the water before I went to bed. But that’s not necessary.
- Pour off the soaking water in the morning and put the almonds with the 2 cups of water and any other optional ingredients into your high powered blender.
- Blend for about 1 minute, or until the almonds are well liquified.
- Strain the milk into a bowl through a nut bag and wring the bag out by twisting to remove all the milk.
- Store the almond milk in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Note that this will not keep longer than a few days like the store bought stuff. No preservatives!
TO TOAST ALMOND MEAL:
- Simply spread out over a parchment lined cookie sheet and bake at 325 for about 15-20 minutes or until it has a nice, golden glow. Great for adding to your morning cereal or muesli!