As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
If it’s about time your grilled cheese sandwich grew up, this clean eating grownup grilled cheese sandwich recipe is ready to take its place!
Your grilled cheese sandwich just grew up. That’s not to say you can’t occasionally enjoy the sandwiches of your youth, but sometimes, it’s nice to age well. And this recipe certainly fits that description.
As a young teen, I survived on grilled cheese sandwiches. Even now, the mere mention of it makes me salivate. I love them in all their cheesy, melty, gooey splendor. But I did give them up for the most part when I started eating clean.
Originally, I gave them up because I thought I had to avoid fats of all kinds as a clean eater. Thankfully, I’ve learned a little since then and I’m now far more aware of just how good healthy fats are for you. And this Grownup Grilled Cheese Sandwich is definitely filling with the fat that it does contain.
That being said, you still want to choose your cheese carefully. Fresh mozzarella is a fantastic way to go. Plus it melts really, really well. Almost like Velveeta! <gasp!>
When I made these years ago, I would use a hand-held cheese slicer and pack the bread with many slices of butter before I put it in the pan. Then I would add even more butter to cook with until I had pretty much used up an entire stick of butter for one sandwich. Oh, and did I mention I would make 2 or 3 of these before I was done? Moderation was not my thing at that age…
These days, I’m a little more sparing with the butter. It’s totally clean, but not an entire stick at one time. I just smear on a very tiny amount (or I use oil), place the sandwich between two pieces of parchment, and pack between two cookie sheets. Then I bake it. I have to say that this is not my original idea. I saw it on Pinterest, but of course, I can’t find the pin now! So if you know who’s idea this is, I’d love to give them credit. Because frankly, it’s genius. And it works oh so well. Give it a try, you’ll see.
More Healthy Sandwiches
Grownup Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe
Grownup Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 2 slices whole grain bread
- 2 oz. fresh mozzarella (sliced)
- salt and pepper
- 6 large fresh basil leaves
- 2 ¼ inch slices tomato
- balsamic vinegar to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Assemble your sandwich in this order: Bread, cheese, salt & pepper, basil, tomato, bread.
- Flip that sandwich over so that the cheese melts down over everything else.
- Spray both sides of the sandwich with a light coating of oil using an oil sprayer. You can also spread a light coat of butter on before assembling the sandwich if that works for your eating plan.
- Fold the sandwich into a piece of parchment, and then sandwich the entire thing between two cookie sheets. (I used 2 on top because my pans were tiny and I wanted a little more weigh on top.)
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until the cheese is nicely melted.
- Remove from oven and remove cookie sheets and parchment.
- Sprinkle the top of the sandwich with a bit of balsamic vinegar to taste.
- Cool enough so you don’t burn yourself and enjoy.
- Note that if you want the bread to be crispier, you can remove the pan and parchment from the top of the sandwich after 15 minutes of baking and turn your broiler on. Just remember to flip the sandwich half way through that last 5 minutes so both sides get crispy. If your tomato slices are too thick or you put too much cheese on, the bread will be much soggier. So keep it light and simple.