As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This jalapeño popper grilled cheese might just be the best grilled cheese to ever come out of my kitchen!
I don’t do much dairy. But there are some days when some melty cheese is the only thing that will make me feel better. Am I alone in this? Please tell me I’m not.
What Is A Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese?
Aside from quite possibly being the best grilled cheese ever, you can actually think of it as an “inside out” jalapeño popper. Instead of the cheese mix being inside the jalapeño, the jalapeño is inside the cheese. The flavor is the same, and it’s equally delicious and satisfying.
It’s a simple process and just like making any other grilled cheese. But I do have cooking tips for you.
- Make sure your jalapeño is finely minced, not coarsely chopped. You want a fine cut here so that the flavor and spice are well distributed throughout the cheese.
- You don’t need to butter your bread if you are making this on the grill like I did. Just spread the cheese between the two slices of bread and wrap it in foil, then throw it on the grill for ten minutes.
- If you want to make this in the oven, the same rules apply. But I would set the foil-wrapped sandwich on a baking sheet for easier handling. Or, you can butter the bread and bake it on a prepared baking sheet with parchment paper. If the bread doesn’t get crispy enough for you, you can unwrap the sandwich and broil it on each side for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- If you want to make this in a frying pan, you’ll want to butter the outside of your bread for cooking. You can also use olive oil or some other oil if you prefer. But I find butter gives the best flavor.
You can add any of the following ingredients to round out the flavors a bit more.
- Green onions – sliced thin
- Garlic powder
- Black pepper
- Monterey jack cheese
What To Serve With A Jalapeño Popper Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Pretty much anything you would eat with a grilled cheese sandwich will work well here. But my favorites are:
- Tortilla chips
- Tomato soup
About The Ingredients
Jalapeño pepper – While I give a measurement for this, you can use as much as you want. And if you want extra spice, make sure to include the seeds.
Cream cheese – Regular cream cheese will work here, but whipped cream cheese is easier to work with if you have access to it.
Milk – Any type.
Mild cheddar cheese – It’s best to hand grate this yourself at home to avoid additives.
Grated parmesan cheese – You want parmesan, not a parmesan mix.
Whole grain bread – No sugar added. And yes, sourdough bread is very good here. It adds a different flavor to the sandwich from the tang of the dough. But it’s very tasty.
How To Make A Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Place all the filling ingredients (everything but the bread) into a mixing bowl.
Mash this all together, making sure the jalapeño is well distributed throughout the cheese mix.
Lay out your bread on a large piece of foil.
Smear all of the cream cheese mixture onto one piece of the bread.
Close the sandwich and wrap it tightly in the foil.
Cook on the grill for 10 minutes, making sure to flip it after the first 5 minutes.
Remove from the grill, unwrap, cut, and serve.
Store leftovers in an airtight container and keep this in the fridge for up to 3 or 4 days.
Freezing is not recommended after cooking this. However, if you want to make several of these ahead of time, you can certainly assemble the sandwiches, wrap them in foil, and freeze them for up to 3 months. You can cook them directly from the freezer. Thawing first is not recommended because the bread will get too soggy.
From fridge – Warm this in a microwave, oven, or skillet.
From freezer – Cook as indicated, but for about 5 minutes longer.
Remember to subscribe to my free Gracious Pantry Newsletter to receive all my latest recipes in your inbox! Click here to sign up!
More Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipes
Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe Card
Jalapeño Popper Grilled Cheese
- ½ tsp. minced jalapeño pepper
- 2 oz. cream cheese
- 1 tbsp. milk
- ¼ cup grated mild cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp. grated parmesan cheese
- 2 slices whole grain bread
- Place all the filling ingredients (everything but the bread) into a mixing bowl.
- Mash this all together, making sure the jalapeño is well distributed throughout the cheese mix.
- Lay out your bread on a large piece of foil.
- Smear all of the cheese mix onto one piece of the bread.
- Close the sandwich and wrap it tightly in the foil.
- Cook on the grill for 10 minutes, making sure to turn it after the first 5 minutes.
- Remove from the grill, unwrap, cut and serve.
I'm Tiffany, a cookbook author, food lover, mom, and writer for MSN and the AP Newswire.
Looking to stock your freezer for busy weeknights?
I wrote the book! Grab a copy of my book, Clean Eating Freezer Meals on Amazon here, or at select bookstores nationwide!