As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This Campfire Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Apples and Thyme can be made while camping or on the stove at home. Either way, yum!
This delicious sandwich has a sweet and savory flavor with delicious smokiness straight from your campfire coals! Any kid will love them, but so will the adults.
What Cheese Makes The Best Grilled Cheese Sandwich?
The best cheese is going to be one that has two components.
- You love the flavor.
- It melts well.
Cheese that has less fat in it can work if sliced very thin and added in small amounts. But higher-fat cheeses will melt better. You still want to keep your slices on the thin side. They don’t have to be sliced as thin as cheese which is lower in fat.
Are Cold Grilled Cheese Sandwiches Good?
Cold grilled cheese sandwiches are essentially just cheese sandwiches. So if you like that, you’ll enjoy your grilled cheese sandwich cold. However, grilled cheese sandwiches are meant to be eaten cold. That’s the whole point!
- You can certainly make this just as you would any grilled cheese sandwich. But if you are going to make this at home, I highly recommend wrapping in foil and tossing it in the oven for a big. You can always unwrap it for a few minutes to get crunchier bread if you wish. Just remember to spread a little butter on there so it can crisp up.
- The directions below are for making this on a fire pit. These are a great make-ahead meal to pack in a cooler. So the next time you go camping or even grill in the backyard, keep this little goodie in mind. It’s delish!
You can add any of the following to this sandwich to round out the flavors.
- Sautéd red bell peppers
- Parmesan cheese
- Provolone cheese
- Ricotta cheese
- Pepper jack cheese
About The Ingredients
Whole grain bread – No sugar added. Sourdough bread will also work well here.
Apple – You can choose any type you like. A tart green apple tastes great here, but so does a sweet fuji or pink lady apple.
Cheddar cheese – I buy pre-sliced cheddar. They are usually about 1 oz. per slice.
Dried thyme – You can add as much as you want, but I find a small pinch for just a hint of flavor tastes best on this.
Garlic powder – You can add garlic with your heart. The measurement is only a suggestion.
How To Make A Campfire Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Slice the apple into 1/16” slices or thinner. A mandolin would be a good choice for this.
Lay down two pieces of bread. Layer the slices of cheese with apple slices in between, making sure that the first and last layers of your sandwich are cheese.
Lastly, using your fingers, sprinkle just a pinch of thyme and garlic powder over the last layer of cheese.
Complete the sandwich with the second slice of bread and wrap it in heavy-duty foil.
Place the wrapped sandwiches in the hot coals of a fire or on the grill or grate. Alternatively, you can also cook this in a pie iron or other campfire device.
Once the cheese is melted, it’s done! Serve with remaining apple slices cut in half as a side garnish.
Alternative Cooking Methods
If you prefer not to cook your sandwich in your campfire coals, it can also be cooked in a cast iron pan on the fire or on an outdoor grill. A cast iron skillet can be used without oil if you leave the sandwich in foil.
These need refrigeration. Store this in an airtight container in an rv refrigerator or cooler for up to 3 or 4 days after cooking.
Freezing is not recommended after cooking, but you can freeze these prior to cooking if you wish. Wrap the sandwich in foil and throw it on the campfire straight from the freezer. Do not thaw them first, or the bread will get too soggy. You may have to cook them for about 5-10 minutes more, depending on the level of heat.
You can wrap these in foil and throw them back on the fire pit, or you can warm these on a skillet or in a microwave if you are at home.
More Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipes
- Grownup Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Grilled Cheese Roll-Ups
- Grilled Cheese With Blackberries
- Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Remember to subscribe to my free newsletter to receive all my latest recipes in your inbox. Click here to sign up!
Campfire Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe Card
Campfire Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe
- 2 slices whole grain bread (no sugar added)
- 1 large apple
- 2 oz sliced cheddar cheese
- 1 pinch dried thyme
- 1 pinch garlic powder
- Slice the apple into 1/16” slices or thinner. A mandolin would be a good choice for this.
- Lay down two pieces of bread. Layer the slices of cheese with apple slices in between, making sure that the first and last layers of your sandwich are cheese.
- Lastly, using your fingers, sprinkle just a pinch of thyme and garlic powder over the last layer of cheese.
- Complete the sandwich with the second slice of bread and wrap it in heavy-duty foil.
- Place the wrapped sandwiches in the hot coals of a fire or on the grill or grate. Alternatively, you can also cook this in a pie iron or other campfire device.
- Once the cheese is melted, it’s done! Serve with remaining apple slices cut in half as a side garnish.
I'm Tiffany, a cookbook author, food lover, mom, and writer for MSN and the AP Newswire.
Looking to stock your freezer for busy weeknights?
I wrote the book! Grab a copy of my book, Clean Eating Freezer Meals on Amazon here, or at select bookstores nationwide!