Is French toast really French? Does anyone know? I mean, if the French invented this, I think I may need to relocate. I know they are culinary geniuses and all, but da-anggg! French toast R.O.C.K.S!
I’ll be adding this to my Saturday morning repertoire with my munchkin man. He loves it too. Here’s how I adapted an old recipe to a clean eating version.
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY:
- Clean Eating Protein Waffles
- Clean Eating Kiwi Muffins
- Clean Eating Whole Wheat Pancakes
- Clean Eating Buckwheat Crepes
Clean Eating French Toast
- 1/2 cup egg whites
- 1/2 cup non fat milk OR unsweetened almond milk, OR unsweetened rice milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 -6 slices whole wheat/grain bread (No sugar added)
- Maple syrup or honey for topping
- Combine your egg whites, milk, cinnamon and vanilla in a bowl. Whisk until well blended.
- Soak your bread in the mixture until it’s partially saturated (Don’t let it get too soggy or it will be a drag to get it out of the bowl)
- Cook in a non-stick pan without any oil. Keep the heat low to medium low so it doesn’t burn. Cook a bit longer than you would regular french toast to be sure the egg gets cooked at the lower temperature.
- Plate your food and top with your favorite French toast toppings!
Please Note: Nutritional Content will not available for this recipe and will vary depending on bread used.