As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This coconut french toast offers a tropical twist on this homestyle, classic breakfast.
French toast is awesome. Don’t you think?
I mean, who ever thought of soaking some bread, getting it all gooey, and then cooking it? Whoever it was, they were brilliant. Just brilliant.
I’ve developed a rather strong love affair with coconut over the last couple years. I used to hate it. Couldn’t get me within 10 feet of something that had coconut in it. But that all changed after I had fresh coconut for the first time, and it’s been all downhill from there. I use it whenever I can!
Then it dawned on me, why not make coconut french toast? Brilliant! Just brilliant! (Yes, I’m patting myself on the back for this one.)
HOW TO MAKE FRENCH TOAST
Making french toast is a very simple, basic skill anyone can master. The trick is to set up a small assembly line with your bread, egg wash, and skillet (in that order).
Once you have that set up, you’ll simply dunk your bread in the egg wash, making sure to flip the bread so it gets wet on both sides, and then place it into your skillet. Then fry it for about 10 minutes (5 on each side), or until the egg is fully cooked and the bread is nicely browned.
Transfer to a place, top with honey or your favorite syrup and maybe a pat of butter, and enjoy!
MORE HEALTHY FRENCH TOAST RECIPES:
COCONUT FRENCH TOAST RECIPE:
Coconut French Toast Recipe
- 2 large eggs (If your bread in larger, you may need 3 eggs)
- ½ cup light coconut milk
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 4 slices whole grain bread
- ¼ cup coconut flakes (unsweetened)
- honey for topping
- In a medium size mixing bowl, whisk together the egg whites, coconut milk, vanilla extract and cinnamon.
- Submerge the bread in to the mixture, being sure to turn it several times to get all sides coated and wet.
- Using a non-sick pan and a very light coat of olive oil from a sprayer, cook on medium heat until the bread is cooked through, paying special attention to being sure that the egg and the middle of the bread slices are cooked through.
- Put the toast on a plate and sprinkle each piece with 1 tbsp. of the coconut flakes.
- Add a little honey to taste and serve.