This blueberry french toast casserole recipe was delicious…
I mean, who doesn’t like french toast? It’s incredible stuff! Add to that some super power berries (yes, I said super power), and you’ve got yourself an amazing breakfast for a special occasion, or just a normal day of the week. Either way, you’re going to love this. And if you don’t think you can handle 12 servings, make it anyway. You can nosh on it all week and stick the leftovers in the freezer!
I love making this for Mini Chef on his birthday for breakfast because he’s definitely a french toast fan. He doesn’t get to eat it often, but when he does, he thoroughly enjoys it.
And don’t worry, if blueberries are out of season for you, frozen blueberries will work too! The only difference is that you’ll want to thaw and drain them first before using them, otherwise the bread could get a little overly soggy from the melting berries. In the past, I’ve just poured the frozen berries into a colander the night before and let them defrost in the sink or on a plate in the fridge if I don’t plan on using them immediately. It’s super easy and works well.
Of course, fresh berries are always best. But in a pinch, you can still have your blueberry french toast and eat it too! Yay!
MORE HEALTHY FRENCH TOAST RECIPES:
BLUEBERRY FRENCH TOAST CASSEROLE RECIPE:
Blueberry French Toast Casserole Recipe
- 6 cups cubed, whole grain bread
- 8 large egg whites (or 4 whole eggs)
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup honey (or maple syrup, though it won't be as sweet)
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 2 tsp. almond extract
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 cups fresh blueberries (frozen works too as do other berries)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the egg whites, almond milk, honey, extracts and cinnamon. Whisk well.
- Oil a baking dish (about 9 x 13), and fill it with the bread.
- Pour the liquid mixture over the bread and allow it to sit for at least 30 minutes, mixing once or twice to be sure all parts of the bread are moistened.
- Mix in the blueberries.
- Bake the casserole at 350 F. for about 45 minutes or until there is no longer any liquid between the bread.
- Cool a bit and serve.