This apple french toast casserole will have your house smelling amazing and your tummy feeling very, very pleased with itself.
I love good comfort food, and this definitely fits that description! Comfort food in all it’s cinnamon-apple-y goodness! While this isn’t necessarily something you’d want to make on an average weekday morning, it’s definitely great for special occasions. Holiday, birthdays, or any fun and festive, autumn or winter event!
CLASSIC FRENCH TOAST
Typically, french toast is fried, slice by slice. It’s first dipped into an egg and milk bath and then immediately placed into a hot, oiled skillet and cooked until you have a golden brown edge. But turning your french toast into a casserole allows you to make french toast with far less fat since you are baking instead of frying. A much healthier option, to be sure!
BRUNCH MENU IDEAS:
If you’re looking to put together a nice spread for a brunch menu, this is the perfect addition to that menu! Everyone loves the combination of apples and cinnamon and french toast is always a brunch-time winner. Add to that the fact that this is super easy to serve, and it quickly becomes the perfect brunch menu casserole!
This apple french toast casserole is a fabulous family-style breakfast. It serves 8 people, or 4 really hungry people. The crust came out nice and crunchy and the center was soft and chewy. The apples were marvelously soft and so very tasty. It’s the perfect autumn or winter family breakfast!
FRENCH TOAST WITHOUT VANILLA
French toast doesn’t have to include the addition of vanilla or vanilla extract. In fact, it’s quite tasty without it. I personally use it, but vanilla extract has gotten so expensive these days, that I’m making this dish without it, more and more. The flavor is not harmed by the lack of vanilla, so feel free to skip it if you don’t have any.
HEALTHY BRUNCH IDEAS
If you are putting together a brunch and need more menu ideas, here’s a nice list to round out your brunch table while still keeping things healthy and made from real food.
- Homemade Donuts
- From Scratch Cinnamon Rolls
- Chocolate Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Pesto Quiche with Sun Dried Tomatoes
- Cheddar Asparagus Quiche
FRENCH TOAST RECIPES:
If you need more healthy brunch ideas, here’s a video I found on YouTube that has some fun ideas.
APPLE FRENCH TOAST CASSEROLE RECIPE:
Apple French Toast Casserole
- Casserole dish
- 2 medium tart, green apples (chopped)
- 2 tsp. grapeseed oil (or any light flavored oil)
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. pure maple syrup
- 1 tbsp. water
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 3 large whole eggs
- 1/2 tsp. ground allspice
- 16 slices whole grain bread (cut in half)
- maple syrup for topping
- In a medium pot, combine the apples, oil, cinnamon and vanilla (not the maple syrup).
- Over low to medium heat, cook for approximately 15-20 minutes until the apples are soft.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the almond milk, eggs and allspice.
- In a large baking dish (I used 2, 9x13 dishes) pour a small amount of the milk mixture into the bottom of the baking dish(s).
- Set the bread, cut side down, in your baking dish. Pour the apples over the bread slices and work them in between the slices of bread.
- Pour the rest of the liquid over the top of the casserole, covering everything as evenly as possible .
- Bake at 350 F. for about 50-60 minutes.
- If the bread is not browned very well on top, switch your oven to broil for the last minute or two of baking.
- Allow to cool slightly.
- Top with maple syrup and serve.