As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This Chocolate Chocolate Chip Muffins recipe has an optional peanut butter center you will love!
Clean eating is great. I love my chicken and veggies. But as you may or may not know, I am also sometimes a die-hard dessert fanatic. There are moments where I just can’t help myself.
Dessert is like a cool waterfall on a hot summer day. Like a warm pile of laundry out of the dryer when you’ve just come in from shoveling piles of snow. Like a hot pot of coffee on a morning when you have to roll out of bed onto the floor with a thud just to wake yourself up enough to crawl into the kitchen and grab your mug.
Yep, dessert is necessary for any person hoping to maintain some semblance of sanity. After weeks of sticking to an eating plan like it’s going out of style, I need a treat that feels completely indulgent without actually damaging all my hard work.
A few extra calories? Perhaps. But eat these in moderation and you won’t be gaining any weight from them either. They are decadent, but they’re clean!!
MORE HEALTHY MUFFIN RECIPES:
CHOCOLATE CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFINS RECIPE:
Chocolate Chocolate Chip Muffins Recipe
- Standard muffin pan
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips (I use the Lily's brand)
- 2 large egg whites
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ cup oil (light flavored)
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk (any milk will work here)
- 12 tbsp. peanut butter (optional - if using - 2 tsp. per muffin - no sugar added)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line your muffin tin with muffin/cupcake papersIn a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, pepper, salt, cocoa powder and chocolate chips (Coating the chocolate chips in flour helps keep them from sinking to the bottom of your muffins during baking).
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the egg whites, honey, oil and almond milk.
- Pour the flour mixture into the liquids and blend well with a wooden spoon.
- Fill your muffin papers half way with batter and place in the oven. If you want the peanut butter centers, fill the papers a 1/4 of the way (being sure to evenly distribute the batter over the bottom of the muffin paper), drop the peanut butter in the center, then cover the peanut butter entirely with the rest of the batter. If you use the peanut butter, your muffin papers will be closer to 3/4 full.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes. Test with a knife or cake tester. Be aware that you may pull out some melted chocolate from the chocolate chips. So examine it carefully to see if it's melted chocolate or raw batter if the stick or knife does not pull out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack and serve.