This Dippin Dots Ice Cream recipe is a healthy and wonderful treat on a hot summer day. And you don’t have to go to the mall to get some!
Okay, I admit it. I’ve had this popular ice cream once in my life, and I absolutely hated them. I just cannot understand the fascination with this type of ice cream. But that said, I know a lot of folks out there LOVE the stuff. You see a lot of kiosks in local malls and around town in these parts.
I was on Pinterest the other night (~gasp!~) and I ran across a pin for a yogurt recipe that reminded me of Dippin Dots. Only they used regular, flavored, sugar-filled yogurt to make them. So I thought, why not give this a whirl with some Greek yogurt and natural sweetener?
Well I can tell you that both Mini Chef and I are now HUGE Dippin Dots fans….. of the healthy, homemade variety. It’s a wonderfully healthy treat for kids and adults alike and makes for a really fun snack. It may not have the coloring of the traditional version, but you can’t beat the cool, delicious flavor!
HOW TO MAKE DIPPIN DOTS
The process for making this dippin dots ice cream recipe is incredibly simple. Mix honey into yogurt until you have a level of sweetness you enjoy. Then transfer the yogurt into a zipper top sandwich bag, close well and make sure to remove as much air as possible while you close the “zipper”. Clip a small part of one of the bottom corners of the bag and, using it like a cake bag, squeeze little dots onto a cookie sheet and freeze.
You can also use a cake decorating bag with a fine, small, round tip if you prefer.
While this is not essential, it helps to freeze your cookie sheet ahead of time. If it’s cold when you put the yogurt on it, the yogurt will spread even less on the tray, giving you better shaped dots. But again, this is not essential. Greek yogurt holds it’s shape fairly well.
HEALTHY ICE CREAM RECIPES
- Chocolate, Dairy Free Ice Cream
- Strawberry Banana Soft Serve Ice Cream
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Ice Cream
- Slush Puppies
- Cherry Almond Ice Cream
- Homemade Waffle Cones
DIPPIN DOTS ICE CREAM RECIPE
Dippin Dots Recipe
- Zipper top sandwich bag OR frosting bag with a small, round tip.
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- honey to taste
- In a mixing bowl, mix together the yogurt and honey until well combined.
- Transfer the yogurt to a ziplock sandwich bag, and zip it tightly shut
- Cut a very small corner off the bag. Using the sandwich bag like a pastry bag, squeeze out little dots all over an ungreased cookie sheet. You can place them very close together because they won't spread much
- Place the cookie sheet in the freezer for several hours
- Using a spatula, scrape the dots off the cookie sheet into a bowl and return to the freezer until you are ready to eat them. These melt somewhat quickly, so don't remove them from the freezer until you are ready to eat them.