As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This whole grain Chocolate Chip Crazy Cake may be my new favorite cake.
I haven’t had a regular, store-bought piece of cake in ages, and chances are I may never have it again. Even for a special occasion. However, a clean cake that is truly tasty and not so awfully sweet that it will keep me awake into next week…. that’s a different story.
While I’m trying to stick to low-carb eating, I’m also testing out some cake recipes for Mini Chef’s upcoming birthday party. I wanted something that was clean, but also something that everyone would enjoy. Not always an easy thing to do when some people are accustomed to store-bought cake.
But I think I found a good middle ground with this Clean Eating Cinnamon Chocolate Chip Crazy Cake. It’s soft and a little spongy like regular cake is. It’s also a bit on the dense side almost like a brownie consistency. It’s delicious and I think our party guests will enjoy this with a little homemade ice cream.
Now all I have to do is pick a frosting recipe or create a new one just for this cake…
This recipe adapted from Sweet Little Bluebird
More Healthy Cake Recipes
Healthy Crazy Cake Recipe
Chocolate Chip Crazy Cake
- 1½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tbsp. cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- 1 tbsp. cinnamon (ground)
- 1 cup Sucanat
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips (I used the Enjoy Life brand)
- 1 tsp. white vinegar
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup coconut oil (in liquid state)
- 1 cup water
- Oil an 8×8 baking dish and preheat the oven to 350° F.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the flour, cocoa powder, cinnamon, Sucanat, baking powder, salt and chocolate chips until well combined.
- Add the remaining wet ingredients and stir well again.
- Pour into a baking dish and bake for about 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick or knife pulls out clean when inserted into the middle of the cake.
- Allow to cool, cut, and serve.