This whole wheat cake is perfect for special occasions such as birthdays, graduations or other celebrations.
I’ve been trying to find a way to make a good birthday cake for a long time. I’ve tried many recipes and I’ve had to throw several of them right into the trash.
But I finally did it!
I should warn you, this cake is addictive. But if it’s your birthday, at least eating a lot of cake won’t be so bad if the cake you’re eating is clean!
I’m still trying to develop a good frosting recipe. That white frosting that makes any cake look like a birthday celebration. You know what I’m talking about… that stuff you can’t help but dip your finger into a few times while decorating the cake. Ya, that one. I need a clean version of that. And I’ll get it! Yes I will!
But in the mean time, I don’t want to leave you high and dry either. So if you don’t mind putting some chocolate pumpkin frosting on your cake, you can try the frosting I did for my Halloween cupcakes. It’s yummy stuff! A second option would be to try my Clean Eating Nutella, and lastly, here is a Clean Eating Nut Butter Frosting.
Remember to subscribe to my free, Gracious Pantry Newsletter to receive all my latest recipes in your inbox! Click here to sign up!
HEALTHY CAKE RECIPES:
- Instant Pot Pumpkin Spice Cake
- Instant Pot Chocolate Cake
- Cranberry Upside Down Cake
- Cinnamon Chocolate Chip Crazy Cake
WHOLE WHEAT CAKE RECIPE
Whole Wheat Cake
- 9 inch cake pan (2 pans if you want a layered cake)
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (affiliate link)
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 tbsp. grapeseed oil (or any light flavored oil)
- 3/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tbsp. pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a 9 inch cake pan with parchment paper. Then spray the inside of the pan, including the parchment with a light coat of oil from an oil sprayer.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour and baking powder until well combined.
- Whisk in all other ingredients.
- Pour batter in to cake pan and bake for 26-30 minutes. A knife or cake tester should pull our clean.
- Allow to cool. Run a plastic knife around the edge to separate cake from pan and then remove.
- If you made a second layer, cover one cake with filling or frosting and place the second cake on top.