This broccoli quiche recipe is a healthy and delicious start to your morning! Plus, it travels well for easy, on-the-go eating.
This recipe came about because I had a huge bunch of broccoli left over from another recipe. I bought way more than I needed and really needed a way to use it up. (I hate throwing away food!).
Now, I’ve made this with egg whites as well as with whole eggs. And while both are good, you’ll want to decide ahead of time what your goal is. For a leaner, lower calorie quiche, egg whites are the way to go.
If pleasing those at your breakfast table is the only goal, then I’d opt for the whole eggs. The flavor is much richer than with egg whites. Neither is a bad option, it just depends on what your personal goals are.
HOW TO MAKE QUICHE
Quiche is one of the simplest foods to make. All it requires is a mixing bowl and a whisk. Beat your eggs until well combined and stir in any number of vegetables along with some cheese, salt and pepper, and you’ll end up with a delicious breakfast every time.
You can make quiche with or without crust, again, depending on your personal eating plan. You can make a whole grain crust, and gluten free crust or even an all-nut crust if you so choose. The sky’s the limit when it comes to quiche.
I’m sure there are some professionals out there cringing at what I’ve typed here. There are, of course, more sophisticated methods for making a delicious quiche. But for the home cook who just wants to get breakfast on the table, keeping it simple is the way to go.
And here’s an extra tip. Adding a splash (about 1-2 tbsp.) of milk or cream to the eggs, will make them lighter and fluffier that if you make them without. The same principle applies to scrambled eggs, in case you were wondering.
It’s totally okay to switch or omit ingredient, herbs, spices, cheeses and anything else you can think of. It’s hard to go wrong with a quiche. So get creative and enjoy your next quiche!
HEALTHY QUICHE RECIPES
- Pesto Quiche With Sun Dried Tomatoes
- Southwestern Crustless Quiche
- Cheddar Asparagus Quiche
- Mini Quiche
BROCCOLI MUSHROOM QUICHE RECIPE
Broccoli Mushroom Quiche
- 8 or 9 inch pie pan
- 1 standard whole grain pie crust (see recipe link above)
- 2 cups egg whites (or whole eggs, as you wish)
- 2 cups cooked, chopped broccoli
- ½ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- ½ lb. sliced brown mushrooms
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare pie crust and set aside.
- Place all other ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix well with a whisk.
- Pour the mixture into the pie crust and place in the oven for approximately 45-60 minutes. Basically, you want to bake it until there is no liquid when you cut into the center.