As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
If you love Supreme Pizza but don’t love how you feel after you eat one, I have a healthy upgrade for you.
I’ve removed all the stuff that makes you feel “yuck” and replaced it with all the stuff that makes you feel “yeah, man.” And you know what? I actually liked it better!
This pizza has so much flavor. The tangy tomato sauce pairs nicely with the melted cheese and savory chicken, creating a comforting and satisfying taste. The roasted yellow and red peppers contribute a smoky sweetness, while the black olives add a salty and briny element that complements the other ingredients. Sautéed mushrooms lend an earthy richness, while fresh basil leaves provide a refreshing herbal note that brightens the overall flavor. The whole wheat pita bread not only adds a nutty taste but also delivers a delightfully chewy texture to complete the culinary experience.
What Is A Supreme Pizza?
While the restaurants and pizzerias you order from all make their pizzas just a little differently, the general idea is loads of meat and a few veggies. Most Supreme Pizzas are made with processed meats like pepperoni, sausage, or meatballs. Vegetables like mushrooms, bell peppers, and onions tend to be thrown on as sort of an afterthought. But the recipe below reworks the concept of the Supreme Pizza just a little, and man, is it good!
Choosing A Crust
You have many options when it comes to choosing your pizza crust. Here are some suggestions beyond buying one at the store.
For the sake of ease and convenience, the pizza below was made on whole-grain pita bread. This recipe makes one personal-sized pizza. Feel free to multiply it by the number of people you are serving.
Can I Use A Different Type Of Crust Instead Of Whole Wheat Pita?
Yes, you can substitute regular pita bread or even flatbread. However, keep in mind that the flavor and texture may vary slightly.
Can I Use A Different Type Of Meat Instead Of Chicken?
Absolutely! While the recipe calls for chicken, you can experiment with different meats such as sliced beef, turkey, or even vegetarian options like tofu or seitan.
Can I Make This Supreme Pizza Ahead Of Time And Reheat It Later?
It’s best to enjoy the Supreme Chicken Pita fresh and hot straight out of the oven. However, you can assemble the ingredients ahead of time and bake the pizza when you’re ready to serve. Reheating already baked pitas may result in a less crispy texture or a burnt crust.
Can I Freeze A Cooked Supreme Pizza?
It’s not recommended to freeze the cooked pita, as freezing can affect the texture and taste of the ingredients, especially the vegetables. Enjoying it fresh or storing any leftovers in the refrigerator for a few days is best.
Can I Adjust The Toppings To Suit My Preferences?
Absolutely! The toppings mentioned in the recipe are just a guideline. Feel free to customize the toppings according to your taste. You can add or omit ingredients as desired.
Can I Make A Supreme Pizza Vegetarian Or Vegan?
You can easily modify the recipe to suit a vegetarian or vegan diet. Substitute the chicken with plant-based proteins like tofu, tempeh, or seitan, and use dairy-free cheese or nutritional yeast for a vegan option.
How Can I Make The Pita Crispier?
To achieve a crispier pita, brush the bread with olive oil before adding the toppings. Additionally, you can bake the pita at a slightly higher temperature, but keep an eye on it to prevent burning.
What Cheese Is Best On A Supreme Pizza?
- Mozzarella: Mozzarella cheese is a classic and widely used cheese for pizzas. It has a mild flavor and a great stretch when melted, making it a popular choice for the base cheese on a Supreme pizza.
- Provolone: Provolone cheese is known for its slightly smoky and tangy flavor. It melts well and adds a rich and savory element to the pizza.
- Parmesan: Parmesan cheese is often sprinkled on top of the other cheeses to add flavor. It has a nutty and salty taste that enhances the overall taste of the pizza.
- Cheddar: Cheddar cheese offers a sharper flavor and a rich texture. It can be used in combination with other cheeses or as a standalone option for a bolder taste.
- Fontina: Fontina cheese is a semi-soft cheese with a buttery and creamy flavor. It melts beautifully and adds a delightful richness to the pizza.
- Asiago: Asiago cheese has a slightly nutty and tangy taste. It can be used as a substitute or in combination with other cheeses for a unique and robust flavor profile.
Why Make This At Home?
Traditional takeout pizzas have loverly ingredients such as white wheat flour, barley flour, sodium nitrite, sodium ascorbate, dextrose, bht, bha, soy, soybean oil, and all sort of other unwanted ingredients. Making pizza at home means you get all the natural flavor without all the added garbage.
- Use high-quality ingredients: Opt for fresh and high-quality ingredients, such as ripe tomatoes for the sauce, flavorful cheese, and fresh herbs. This will greatly enhance the taste of your pita.
- Customize the toppings: Feel free to customize the toppings based on your preferences. You can add other vegetables like bell peppers, spinach, or even jalapenos for some spice. Experiment with different combinations to find your favorite flavor profile.
- Preheat the oven: Make sure to preheat your oven before baking the pitas. This ensures that the pita bread becomes crispy and the cheese melts evenly.
- Don’t overstuff the pita: While loading it with toppings is tempting, be mindful not to overstuff it. Leave some room for the heat to circulate and melt the cheese evenly.
- Adjust cooking time: The baking time may vary depending on your oven and the desired level of crispness. Keep an eye on the pitas while baking and adjust the cooking time accordingly.
- Serve fresh and hot: Supreme Chicken Pitas are best enjoyed fresh out of the oven. Serve them immediately to savor the flavors and textures at their best.
- Pair with a side: Consider serving the Supreme Chicken Pita with a side salad or some roasted vegetables to make it a complete meal.
- Store leftovers properly: If you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Reheat gently in the oven or microwave before enjoying.
- Have fun and experiment: Don’t be afraid to experiment with different ingredients and flavor combinations. Add your own twist to make the Supreme Chicken Pita truly your own.
Want to add more? Try one of these:
- Green pepper
- Red bell pepper for veggie lovers
- Green bell pepper
- Garlic or garlic powder or other spices like oregano
- Italian sausage
- Pork sausage
- Pepperoni slices for meat lovers
- Natural smoke flavoring
- Sea salt and pepper
About The Ingredients
- Whole Wheat Pita Bread: Whole wheat pita bread is a healthier alternative to white pita bread, offering more fiber and nutrients. It adds a nuttier flavor and a slightly denser texture to the pizza.
- Tomato Sauce: Choose a high-quality tomato sauce or marinara sauce for the best flavor. Look for options without added sugars or preservatives, or you can make your own homemade pizza sauce using tomato paste, water, and spices.
- Roasted Yellow Pepper and Roasted Red Pepper: You can roast the peppers yourself or use store-bought roasted peppers. To roast peppers, place them directly over a gas flame or under a broiler until the skin is charred and blistered. Let them cool, then remove the skin, seeds, and stem before cutting them into cubes.
- Cheese: Opt for shredded cheese that melts well, such as mozzarella or a cheese blend. You can also experiment with vegetarian cheese options like cheddar or provolone.
- Chicken: Use cooked chicken that has been cubed or shredded. You can use leftover cooked chicken or cook chicken specifically for this recipe.
- Black Olives: Use pitted black olives for convenience. You can either slice them or keep them whole, depending on your preference.
- Red onion: Cut these as small as you want to accommodate the pizza.
- Mushrooms: If using mushrooms, choose your favorite variety and slice them thinly. Mushrooms add an earthy and savory element to the pizza.
How To Make A Supreme Pizza
Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C). Gather and measure all your ingredients. In a pan, heat a small amount of olive oil over medium heat.
Add the sliced mushrooms to the pan, add a pinch of salt and black pepper, and cook until they are softened and slightly browned. This usually takes about 5-7 minutes. Set aside the cooked mushrooms.
Prepare the crust or pita by placing it on a baking sheet or pizza stone.
Spread the tomato sauce evenly over the pita.
Sprinkle the cheese on top of the tomato sauce.
Add the chicken.
Add the sliced black olives, onion, roasted yellow pepper cubes, and roasted red pepper cubes on top of the cheese.
Distribute the cooked mushrooms and onion evenly over the toppings. Drizzle the remaining olive oil over the chicken and toppings. Sprinkle a pinch of black pepper to taste.
Transfer the baking sheet or pizza stone with the assembled pitas into the preheated oven. Bake for approximately 10-12 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and the pita bread is crispy and golden brown. Once done, remove the pizza from the oven and let them cool for a minute or two. Cut and serve.
Storing Leftover Supreme Pizza
To store the Supreme Chicken Pita, let it cool completely, then wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or place it in an airtight container. Store it in the refrigerator, and it should stay fresh for up to 2-3 days.
Freezing Supreme Pizza
Only freeze this if it has been assembled but not cooked. In that case, wrap it well and freeze for up to 4 months.
Reheating Supreme Pizza
When ready to enjoy, you can reheat the pita in the oven at a low temperature or in a microwave until warmed through.
Recipe Supplies For Making A Supreme Pizza
To make this pizza, you will need:
More Healthy Pita Pizza Recipes
Remember to subscribe to my free newsletter to receive all my latest recipes in your inbox. Click here to sign up!
Supreme Pizza Recipe Card
Supreme Pizza Recipe
- 1 Baking sheet
- 1 Pizza Cutter (or sharp knife)
- 1 Cutting board
- 1 measuring cup set (or kitchen scale)
- 1 medium whole wheat pita
- ¼ cup tomato sauce
- ½ cup shredded cheese
- 2 tbsp. black olives
- 2 tbsp. chopped onions
- 2 tbsp. roasted yellow pepper (chopped)
- 2 tbsp. roasted red pepper (chopped)
- ½ tbsp. olive oil
- ¼ cup cubed, cooked chicken
- 2 tbsp. chopped mushrooms
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C). Gather and measure all your ingredients. In a pan, heat a small amount of olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the sliced mushrooms to the pan, add a pinch of salt and black pepper, and cook until they are softened and slightly browned. This usually takes about 5-7 minutes. Set aside the cooked mushrooms.
- Prepare the crust or pita by placing it on a baking sheet or pizza stone.
- Spread the tomato sauce evenly over the pita.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top of the tomato sauce.
- Add the chicken.
- Add the sliced black olives, onion, roasted yellow pepper cubes, and roasted red pepper cubes on top of the cheese.
- Distribute the cooked mushrooms and onion evenly over the toppings. Drizzle the remaining olive oil over the chicken and toppings. Sprinkle a pinch of black pepper to taste.
- Transfer the baking sheet or pizza stone with the assembled pitas into the preheated oven. Bake for approximately 10-12 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and the pita bread is crispy. Once done, remove the pizza from the oven and let them cool for a minute or two. Cut and serve.