As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This easy asparagus salad recipe is a wonderful salad for spring and has ingredients you can prep ahead of time if you wish to make it even faster to toss together.
I’m all about spring recipes now that the season is upon us. After autumn (my favorite season!), spring is a close second. I just love the comfortable weather and the promise of fresh summer ingredients ahead.
But spring ingredients can stand strong in their own right. There is nothing quite like those ingredients that give us the first glimpse of what’s to come in the warmer months.
Spring recipes are light and refreshing after all those heavy winter foods, and still fill you up with healthy goodness.
There are so many types and variations of asparagus salad. A good recipe can include many different ingredients with many different types of flavor profiles. A few types of asparagus salad are:
- Asparagus Egg Salad
- Asparagus Tomato and Avocado
- Pesto Asparagus Pasta
- Asparagus Tomato and Feta
- Asparagus Caprese Salad
- And more!
Asparagus is pretty versatile stuff that can be added to anything from pasta and rice, to soups, stews and omelets. So don’t be afraid to try different flavor combinations when it comes to asparagus.
For this recipe, I opted for bacon, hard boiled eggs and a good vinaigrette. Mustard Vinaigrette to be exact. But many vinaigrettes will work here. Use your favorite!
Cold Asparagus Salad
This dish can be served warm or cold. If you want to serve it cold, I strongly recommend chopping the eggs and adding them in at the last minute so they don’t dry out in the fridge.
You can chill them whole, and then chop and toss them in right before serving.
How To Blanch Asparagus
If you want to blanch the asparagus instead of sautéing it, to reduce the fat content, feel free. But you’ll still want to sauté the garlic for 1 minute. You can do this in about 1 tsp. of oil.
- To blanch asparagus stalks, bring a pot of salted water to the boil.
- Add the asparagus to the water and boil for 2-4 minutes. Timing will depend on how thick your asparagus stems are.
- Remove from the boiling water and place immediately in an ice water bath to stop the cooking.
- Leave in the ice water for about 5 minutes or so, and then drain.
- Once you are done with this process, you can slice the asparagus to use in this recipe.
Canned Asparagus Salad
After 2020, many of you probably have a can or two of asparagus in your pantry. While this could technically be used in this recipe, I don’t recommend it. Canned asparagus is typically too soft and overcooked to be a good option for this recipe.
What You’ll Need
1 tbsp. oil – Use whatever oil you typically use in a skillet. I used coconut oil.
1 lb. asparagus – Wash the asparagus, snap off the hard ends and then slice to your desired thickness. The thicker the cut, the longer it will take to cook them. But either way, it shouldn’t take more than 5 minutes, tops.
2 medium garlic cloves – You’ll want to chop the garlic fine. The finer, the better. If you are a garlic lover, you can add up to 6 cloves of garlic before it becomes too much for this dish. But brace yourself if you use that much.
4 large eggs – hard boil these ahead of time and then coarsely chop them for the salad. As mentioned before, if you are serving the salad cold, chill them after hard boiling and then chop them to stir into the salad just before serving.
4 slices bacon – I used Applegate turkey bacon (Not paid to promote them, it’s just what I use). You can use whatever bacon you are comfortable using.
Vinaigrette – There are many vinaigrettes that will go well with this salad. The one I chose, as I mentioned above, is my Mustard Vinaigrette recipe. Another good choice would be a Garlic Lemon Vinaigrette.
How To Make Asparagus Salad
Warm the oil in a large skillet.
Add the asparagus to the skillet and sauté until cooked al dente.
In the last minute of cooking, add the garlic. Sauté for the full minute, and then remove the skillet from the heat.
Add the chopped egg.
Add the chopped bacon.
Toss and serve with dressing.
More Recipes With Asparagus
- Chicken Asparagus Skillet
- Cheddar Asparagus Omelet
- Shrimp Asparagus Skillet
- Garlic Asparagus Penne Pasta
- Shrimp And Asparagus Spaghetti Squash Spaghetti
- Cheddar Asparagus Quiche
Remember to subscribe to my free newsletter to receive all my latest recipes in your inbox. Click here to sign up!
Asparagus Salad Recipe
Asparagus Salad Recipe
CLICK TO WATCH THIS RECIPE IN ACTION!
- Large Skillet
- 1 tbsp. oil
- 1 lb. asparagus (cleaned and sliced)
- 2 medium garlic cloves (chopped fine)
- 4 large eggs (hard boiled and coarsely chopped)
- 4 slices bacon (I used turkey bacon)
- vinaigrette (to taste)
- Warm the oil in a large skillet.
- Add the asparagus to the skillet and sauté until cooked al dente.
- In the last minute of cooking, add the garlic. Sauté for the full minute, and then remove the skillet from the heat.
- Add the chopped egg.
- Add the chopped bacon.
- Toss and serve with dressing.