This clean eating shrimp and asparagus spaghetti squash spaghetti is a wonderful low carb pasta dinner!
As many of you know, I’ve gone back to focusing on reducing my carbs for the sake of my blood sugar. So for me, pasta was the first thing to go. I still make it for Mini Chef, but I will often substitute pasta for veggie pasta even for him in the hopes of getting more veggies into him. I believe firmly that no kid (or adult for that matter!) can eat too many veggies, so it’s a constant focus of mine.
My doctor told me once that if you start off every single meal with eating 2 cups of veggies first, cooked or fresh, you will never be able to overeat and weight will naturally regulate itself. That little tip has always stuck with me. So even if it’s not the first thing we eat at every meal, I do my best to make sure that we get plenty of them one way or the other.
So naturally, when the veggie pasta craze began, I was thrilled. What an easy way to work veggies into your eating plan! And in my experience, veggie pasta adds so much more flavor to a “pasta” dish than pasta ever will. It’s really pretty remarkable!
So this dish was something I came up with on an evening I was really wanting shrimp scampi. It’s very similar in flavor, but it definitely has more flavor overall thanks to the squash.
HOW TO COOK A SPAGHETTI SQUASH:
If you’ve never cooked spaghetti squash before, I’m here to tell you it’s totally easy. Look for a squash that is firm and has a nice, fresh, yellow skin to it.
Simply cut it in half (use a good knife because the raw squash can be a little tough to cut through), scoop out the seeds, and then lay cut-side-down on a baking pan. Add about 1/4 to 1/2 inch water to the pan and bake at 350 F. for approximately 1 hour. You should be able to easily pierce through the skin and flesh completely with a knife when it’s done. Take the pan out of the oven, and allow things to cool down enough to handle the squash with your bare hands. Use a fork to shred the squash width-wise (the shorter distance). Then use a spoon to really scoop everything out. I’ll have a video coming very soon if you need visuals. Check my kitchen guide area for tutorials on individual produce and ingredients.
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY THESE CLEAN EATING RECIPES:
CLEAN EATING SHRIMP AND ASPARAGUS SPAGHETTI SQUASH SPAGHETTI RECIPE:
Clean Eating Shrimp And Asparagus Spaghetti Squash Spaghetti
- 1 medium spaghetti squash (cut in half, de-seeded and baked)
- 1 lb. shrimp (I used pre-cooked, frozen shrimp. (Raw is fine if you know the extra steps to cooking them. I've never done it.)
- 1 lb. asparagus (washed and chopped)
- 5 medium garlic cloves (minced OR 1 tbsp. garlic powder)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium lemon (juice and zest)
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, sauté the thawed shrimp, asparagus and garlic in the olive oil for about 3 minutes.
- When the asparagus is al dente and the shrimp is warmed through, toss in the lemon zest and squeeze half the lemon over the shrimp. Cook for another 1 to 2 minutes and remove from heat.
- Serve a portion of spaghetti squash with the shrimp and asparagus labeled over the top and squeeze the other half of the lemon over the top.