As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This thin crust pizza is a delicious option for dinner and a fun way to get others into the kitchen with you to help prep!
If you love pizza, but think you have to give it up to be healthy, think again!
About a year ago, I was making pizza for dinner. I chopped all my veggies and put my beautiful pizza together and in the oven. I pulled it out, served it, and we ate it. It was fabulous! The catch?
It didn’t have any cheese! We had eaten almost all of it when I realized I hadn’t put any cheese on the pizza. I was shocked that we hadn’t noticed. But it got me thinking. If you don’t really need all that fattening cheese to have a tasty pizza, why put it on there?
I’ve been making this low-fat pizza ever since. And every time I do, it’s an absolute hit.
THIN CRUST PIZZA RECIPE
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (100-115 degrees F)
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ¼ cup ground flaxseed
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. honey (maple syrup if vegan)
- 2 tbsp. Italian seasoning (see link above to make your own)
- 2 tbsp. garlic powder
- 15 oz. can tomato sauce (no sugar added)
- 1 tbsp. Italian seasoning (see link above to make your own)
- 2 tbsp. garlic powder
Pizza Topping Suggestions:
- 2 cups chopped red bell peppers
- 2 cups sliced or finely chopped zucchini (grating them works too!)
- 8 oz. sliced mushrooms
- 1 ½ cups chopped red onion
- 9 oz. organic tofu (if vegan or vegetarian)
- ½ lb. clean, fresh spinach
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the yeast in a large mixing bowl, and add water. Set aside.
- Chop and prepare all your toppings.
- Make the dough. Combine all dough ingredients with the yeast mixture. Knead until you have a nice firm ball of dough. Let stand, covered with a towel, for about 10 minutes.
- When the dough has set, spray a cookie sheet with a light coat of olive oil spray, and press the dough out until it covers the cookie sheet. This may take a few minutes.
- Place in your preheated oven for about 15 minutes, or just until dough is cooked through. Try not to let the edges brown. It may help to lightly lay some aluminum foil over it as it bakes.
- Make the sauce. When the dough is finished baking, remove it from the oven, and spread the sauce over the crust. (Careful, the pan is hot!) Distribute your veggies evenly over the sauce and dough, and return the entire thing to the oven. Bake for approximately 20 – 30 minutes, or until vegetables are cooked. Again, you may want to use some foil over the top as it bakes to keep the edges of the dough from getting to brown.
- When the pizza is finished baking, remove from oven, allow to cool slightly, sprinkled with parmesan and cut into twelve pieces.
- Bake the crust for 10 minutes. Cool completely. It's best to freeze the dough without any toppings. But if you really want a "ready-to-go" pizza, add all toppings except the basil and tofu (if using). Cover with plastic wrap and freeze for up to 3 months.