As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This Sweet Potato Soup with Peanut Butter and Coconut Milk is a unique twist on an old favorite, sweet potato soup.
Hi everyone! I’m Anne from Anne’s Healthy Kitchen. I’m really excited to be a guest on Tiffany’s blog because I love her approach to food and her delicious clean eating recipes.
I have lived and traveled in many different countries and experienced many very different diets; what they had in common is exactly Tiffany’s clean eating approach. Using fresh, real food to cook simple, colorful and tasty meals.
Today I want to offer you this recipe I created that replaced our sweet potato and carrot soup family favorite. This is my new version of Sunday night’s family soup! Even my 4-year old, who is not a big fan of soups, absolutely loves this one.
I am European and peanut butter is an exotic ingredient for me. I love it together with coconut milk, as a sauce for sautéed vegetables like in Indonesia. And I love the nutty taste it imparts to this soup.
It is very easy to make; you can adjust the quantities of both peanut butter and coconut milk to your own taste. You can also add some chipotle pepper for a spicy touch and a smoky taste.
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY:
Sweet Potato Soup with Peanut Butter and Coconut MilkPrint Pin Rate
- 1½ lb. sweet potatoes (peeled)
- 1 tbsp. oil
- 1 cup yellow onion (chopped)
- 3 medium garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 inch fresh ginger (peeled and grated)
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- ⅕ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2¾ cups chicken stock
- 2 tbsp. tomato passata
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup coconut milk
- ½ cup natural peanut butter
- a few chopped peanuts for garnish (optional)
- Peel sweet potatoes and cut into large chunks; set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Sauté onion until soft and light golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and ginger and sauté a few minutes more; add cinnamon, cumin and cayenne pepper; mix well.
- Add chicken stock or water, then add tomato puree, salt and sweet potatoes. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until sweet potatoes are soft, approximately 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Using an immersion blender, blend soup until smooth.
- Whisk in peanut butter and coconut until smooth.
- Cook again over medium heat until heated through. Adjust seasoning, to taste.
- You can garnish with a few peanuts.