This spread was supposed to be jam.
A reader emailed me and asked me if I had ever made jam using chia seeds. The theory being that the gel from the seeds would thicken the jam
I had been thinking about making strawberry jam so I decided to try it her way.
The results were not what I expected, but delicious just the same. This is NOT a really sweet spread. It’s mildly sweet and would perfectly compliment some nut butter on a rice cracker. In other words, a fantastic addition to any nut butter snack.
Here’s what I did:
Clean Eating Strawberry Chia Seed Spread
- 2 cups strawberries – cleaned and chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1/4 cup honey
- Place all ingredients into a metal pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat slightly so the contents of the pot don’t splatter all over your stove, but still bubbles in the pot.
- Stir constantly! The chia seeds burn on the bottom of the pot very easily. So keep stirring (I had to change pots half way through because the seeds burned so easily).
- Stir and boil until the mixture has reduced by half and has thickened. Again, it will not be as thick as jam, but it sill definitely thicken.
- Pour into a clean glass jar and allow to cool for 1 hour. Place in the fridge overnight to continue cooling.
Note: There is no way for me to know exactly how far you will boil down the spread, and therefore I have no idea how many servings this will end up being for you. The below numbers are for the entire recipe. Simply divide by the number of servings you end up with.
Total Fat: 35 gm
Saturated Fats: 4 gm
Trans Fats: 0 gm
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 28 mg
Carbohydrates: 142 gm
Dietary fiber: 48 gm
Sugars: 84 gm
Protein: 20 gm
Estimated Glycemic Load: 50
Please Note: Nutritional information estimated at Nutritiondata.com. Data may not be accurate and is subject to the availability of specific foods in their database. Where one ingredient is not listed, substitutions must be used. Therefore, you should not refer to this data as being exact. It’s more of a ballpark figure. The Gracious Pantry does not take responsibility for the inadequacies of the nutrition calculator used. This data is provided as a courtesy and general reference only. It is not exact.